lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
bkgraves
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2008 Electric Precedent - Brakes barely working

Hello,

I recently purchased a used 2008 Electric Precedent Club Car. This is my first golf cart and has become my primary means of transportation to work and back.

Recently I've started having trouble with the brakes not working as they should. The brakes barely work and it takes me a very long time to slow down. Setting the parking brake barely helps as well and if I am on any type of incline it will roll.

I've tried looking under the cart and it appears that the brakes are on the rear wheels. I've also noticed what looks like the brake cable on each rear wheel, and the drivers side looks like it is secured, whereas the passenger side brake cable looks like it is loose. When I have someone step on the brakes when I am under it looking at it, the drivers side brake cable looks like it tightens/moves forward. The passengers side does not move at all.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of why my cart's brakes would barely work, if there is any way to fix it myself, and how I would go about fixing it myself if possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide regarding this! :-)

Ben Graves
bkgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Electric Precedent - Brakes barely working

Is the brake pedal going all the way to the floor? The cable on the passenger side is longer. look under the floor mat. There is a cover on the floor under the mat. Remove the cover and see if both brake cables are hooked up to the cross bar under the cover. you can also adjust the brake pedal position under there.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't drive it until you fix it. You Need to get that passenger side cable attached at both ends, you might need a new cable maybe both cables depending on how the driver side looks.

PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sounds like a broken passenger side cable to me.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
bkgraves
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello and thank you for your quick responses!

I have to admit I don't know a ton about my golf cart yet and I appreciate your replies and the information provided.

Not to sound too stupid...but how do I go about lifting up the floor mat? Is it secured in any fashion or does it just lift up?

The brake pedal is going all the way down without any issue as far as I can tell.

I don't know a lot about the brake cables but I can def agree that the passenger side doesn't look like it is working properly. Is there a place online that I can order this part as a replacement? Is it difficult to replace the cable myself?

I apologize for asking so many questions, I live on an island and there is no place to get my cart serviced so I'm having to do everything myself.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Sounds like a broken passenger side cable to me.
Either that or the passenger brake cable has gotten out of the bar under the floor plate. Either one would explain why the pedal is going to the floor too.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
how do I go about lifting up the floor mat? Is it secured in any fashion or does it just lift up?
It should slip out from under the side rails and you can lift it up. If not, loosen the bolts on the rail.
Quote:
Is there a place online that I can order this part as a replacement? Is it difficult to replace the cable myself?
Yes, several places to order a cable from. I think Scottyb has a tool that he makes to aid in taking the old cable out.
It sounds like that cable has slipped out of the bar that it should be attached to or it is broken.
The cable is not hard to replace.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Should be 2 torx bolts on each side holding down the trim that secures the floor mat. Once those are removed you should be able to take it out of the sides. The top kind of tucks under the cup holders so just pull it down then you can slide it up over the pedals and remove it. You will see a triangular cover that just lifts off and that is where the brake adjustments are located.

Cable is fairly simple to change......the clips that hold the cable in are tricky, but just be patient. Somebody probably knows an easy trick for that as well.

Good luck!
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinman View Post
cable is fairly simple to change......the clips that hold the cable in are tricky, but just be patient. Somebody probably knows an easy trick for that as well.

Good luck!
oem #102555501 brake cable release tool
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
bkgraves
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was able to get the floor mat up without issue and take a look at the cabling for the brake. I noticed that the passenger cable was definitely loose on that end. The drivers side barely pulled as I pressed on the brake so I guess that makes sense. I was able to tighten/screw the center piece in a bit and get the drivers side to catch more, so now I have half functioning brakes I guess. I tested it out and it seems to work better than it did. I tried to stop hard and definitely felt it pull to the left/drivers side though.

Guess I need to order a replacement cable and get this thing working as it should. Hoping I can get this cable put on without too much trouble.

Appreciate the help and information so much, no way I would have got this thing fixed without your assistance!

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (43.2 KB, 0 views)

Tags
2008, brake, electric, precedent, slow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car