lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2013 CC Precedent Upgrade recommendations

So I purchased a 2013 Precedent with a 6Inch lift kit and 23 inch tires.

The car goes about 15-17mph (Phone GPS) but slows down to 10-11 in hills.
as I read here looks like in order to get speed (25mph ideally) and the torque to get up the hills quickly I need to upgrade the motor, controller, solinoid and wiring set.

I Upgraded to the MadJax 600amp with on the fly programmer and notice some pep but nothing to write home about, or justify the expense.

Everything else is stock.

I am spending some money on a H/D solinoid and some 2gage wiring kits.

Should I have invested in a motor first..? or is there no other way to do what I am trying to do now..?
mannvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2013 CC Precedent Upgrade recommendations

I imagine those speed numbers were with the stock controller, right?

The 23" tires will definitely present a problem to the stock motor, you should be able to go much faster with the stock 18" tires.

The only issue with going 25mph with 18" tires is that the motor rpm will be dangerously high for an non-banded stock motor.

If your cart has an OBC, You will need to build a "stud" so the new 2ga negative cable current runs through the OBC (it needs to measure it).

If you still have the original 2013 batteries and that cart came from a golf course, the batteries are likely at the end of their life.

If You don't have a voltmeter on the dash yet, Put your meter on the battery pack and measure the lowest voltage while driving the cart uphill.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

There isn't anyway around it. The only way to increase your speed is with more HP. With the stock motor you have 3.3HP. What you need is a speed motor(not a torque motor) that develops max HP a around 5000 to 6000 RPM. The HP should be between 6 and 12 HP. Then you will be able to use that MadJax. Even with the motor I list in my sig I sometimes wish I had a little more HP on hills. But then I would be outside the limits of street legal.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So just checked and there is an OBC in the cart and there is no voltmeter. I should install one for sure.
Since the idea here is to get the motor..did I upgrade things sort of backwards..? meaning i should have started with the motor and work my way around?
sounds like either way I would have had to do it all anyway and seems like no way out of upgrading the motor.

So questions:
1. How do I know what gage wire is on the batteries..they do look new but no writing on the cable itself so no way to tell.
2. If I do upgrade the wires; should I go 2gage or 4gage wire..?
3. Should I consider returning the Madjax controller? i am hearing mix reviews of course after i purchased it.
4. as far as motors, paired with the madjax what motor is recommended?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
should (I) have started with the motor and work my way around?
With the hills you mentioned and living in NC no matter which one you chose first you you would eventually have had to get the other. Also there is so little difference in price between 2 and 4 gauge wire I would go with the 2 gauge. Also don't go cheap with the Bandit. It's only good for the flatlands.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you note my signature below, this setup gives me nothing to desire. Solid 28 to 30 mph and no torque issues. I highly recommend it...
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

Mannvel ...you should have noticed a huge difference after you installed that controller ...I would check your batteries as Sergio suggested .....you should have all kinds of spare torque and be at 21 to 22 mph with stock motor with 23 inch tires ...those are the results I got with that controller and stock motor but I had new batteries as well . later installed an Admiral torque motor and didn't notice a huge difference over the stock motor ...but it does run cooler and is better suited for the type of hunting that I use it for and it does have a little more power but it was the controller that made the main difference... you should see a huge difference with that controller or an Alltrax controller .
fishbooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannvel View Post
So I purchased a 2013 Precedent with a 6Inch lift kit and 23 inch tires.

The car goes about 15-17mph (Phone GPS) but slows down to 10-11 in hills.
as I read here looks like in order to get speed (25mph ideally) and the torque to get up the hills quickly I need to upgrade the motor, controller, solinoid and wiring set.

I Upgraded to the MadJax 600amp with on the fly programmer and notice some pep but nothing to write home about, or justify the expense.

Everything else is stock.

I am spending some money on a H/D solinoid and some 2gage wiring kits.

Should I have invested in a motor first..? or is there no other way to do what I am trying to do now..?
With larger tires like that, you always want to upgrade your controller first. The last thing you want to do is install a speed motor.

First things first is to ensure you have a healthy battery pack, it doesn't matter what performance upgrades you have if your battery pack is no good you won't have any performance.

We have used just about every controller/motor package for the Precedent, and we are not impressed with the Madjax controller.

Feel free to touch base with us and we would be happy to provide some un biased results for the Precedent.

But you are on the right track with cables, controller...just stay away from speed motors with the big tires.
SC Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with everyone, check your batteries first. For battery cables as you stated that you now have a 600 amp controller, you need at least 2ga cables.
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Batteries are 1 year old or so I was told...
I charged them fully and voltmeter shows 50.0V
so not the batteries

Update:

I also got the RMA to return the MadJax controller.
Ordered the 2ga cables
Ordered the H/D solinoid
I have a battery status indicator but just shows full to empty does not show voltage in numbers.

Scotty @ cartsunlimited suggested the Alltrax XCT400 with a fan
alltrax also now offer a on the fly programmer...is it worth it...I kinda like that from the MadJax
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car