lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
dexterscart
Not Yet Wild

Default S/Gen pulley and drive pulley alignment issues

I am new here but have learned a lot from reading through some of the threads. I have a 1975 HD cart. I built a new muffler for it and had the cylinder bored 30 over to get rid of some scarring the hone couldnt fix from the fan being plugged and overheating. My issue is that all of a sudden my s/gen belt doesnt line up and neither does the drive belt. Ive looked at every possible thing I can come up with and even downloaded and printed out the entire service manual. It only talks about aligning the drive belt. The s/gen mounts with a pin on one side and a bolt on the other so there is no way that it could be mounted wrong. From the break down in the service manual it doesnt look like the flywheel could work its way down the shaft at all. I pulled the cover off the primary and everything looks in good shape besides the plug wasnt in it and there was no fluid in it. But I didnt know if anyone had encountered this of had any ideas. I am going to try to attach a picture to show how far off it is. I would say about a half inch. Thank you for any input you can give.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150406_162717.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
dexterscart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: S/Gen pulley and drive pulley alignment issues

Wow the belt alignment is really off. It could be a number of things, and I'm just guessing, these are the things I would check, and you probably already have. I would check for broken or damaged motor mounts, could have a bad rubber mount or two, they are known to dry rot, Also the drive shaft mounts. Have you tried to adjust your motor stabilizer bar, in or out, usually that just helps with motor vibration. Based on your picture, don't think that adjusting the stabilizer would be any help, because it looks as though the started /gen is mounted to far forward. Is there a chance the the starter /gen isn't mounted correctly. Your drive cup should have 12oz of 90 oil in it to. Good luck and keep us posted.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
dexterscart
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for responding Kplhdryder!!! I was starting to get nervous. The mounting for the s/gen has a dowel pin on one side and then a bolt on the other so i dont see any way to mount it incorrectly. I do think that there are some bad motor mounts but the s/gen is mounted to the motor. It should line up no matter what. Its so confusing to me because I know for a fact when I drug it out of the barn it was sitting in and brought it home and got it running everything was aligned. Now both the s/gen belt and the drivebelt is off the same amount. Is there any possible way that the shaft holding the primary could slide out?!?!?!? I looked in the service manual but I dont see any way that it could. I can take more pictures if anyone thinks that could help. Thank you to anyone that helps!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

It looks like in your picture, that the floating flange assembly is up against the starter/gen pulley, is it? Im sure you checked that front drive flange, hasn't slide toward the rear axle, and that the shaft key isn't broken away? I'm trying to compare your pic with mine, I added a pic, your front drive flange doesn't look like its all the way up the shaft. My pic looks as though the flange is closer to the crankcase housing the yours, thats why i think it slide down the shaft a bit. I did have a slight alignment problem with mine last year, replaced all the motor mounts, that corrected it. I still Have to adjust the starter/ gen a couple time a year, by loosening it up and adding pressure toward the rear of the S/G and that aliens mine, as you can see in the pic it needs it done again. Also I did see a starter /gen incorrectly mounted once, the pin bracket had a removable pin and was installed with the pin toward the rear axle, and mount was on the inside of the fan shroud. So I took a couple pics of how the pin and bolt should be, but that doesn't seem to be your problem either.. I hope this helps you out. Keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1750.jpg (150.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1751.jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1752.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1749.jpg (125.5 KB, 0 views)
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I too was thinking the pulley looks like its too far from the engine. Not sure how that would happen but that is what it looks like.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
dexterscart
Not Yet Wild

Thats what i was leaning towards also just wanted to make sure that I wasnt missing something. My pin is welded in. I shouldve mentioned that earlier. I still have no idea how it would start coming off of the shaft but I suppose im about to find out! S/gen is getting pretty weak so i will probably have it rebuilt while i have it all torn apart anyways. I will keep you guys updated! By the way I have another quick question. Is the plug for the drive cup a rubber plug or do I need to tap it and put in a metal plug? Thank you again for the knowledge and support!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
dexterscart
Not Yet Wild

Also thank you for the pictures. Mine is defiantly farther from motor. I noticed a recess in the back of the pulley that will fit over the crankcase perfectly which was the first reason that i thought it might have moved on the shaft.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Re: Drive cup plug: It should be rubber. Mine was missing when I re-did my cart and I used a hard plastic hydraulic plug and it lasted 3 years. Ordered new plug anD it is rubber with a grove around the circumference. I considered tapping but there is really not enough thickness to the material. I considered a self tap pan head with a washer as well and ultimately decided not to as damage woulD or coulD eliminate the possibility of returning to the proper plug at a later time. I installed the proper plug just last week and have a spare so I will post a picture later.
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Plug for primary clutch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primary Clutch Plug.jpg (231.8 KB, 0 views)
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
dexterscart
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! I actually just ordered a whole new seal kit that comes with the o rings and the plug off of vintage golf cart parts. I didnt get the driving flange removed because i dont have a puller in my garage. Luckily my dad has a few of them so Im going to go steal one from him tomorrow. I might just not give it back! I did get the drive cup removed. It said in the manual that it was press fit onto the shaft but it came right off with no effort. It looks to me like the nut lock was pretty well stripped or flattened for some reason. Possibly someone was trying to fix a fluid leak in the primary and didnt get it seated in the grooves right before tightening down the nut. Im guessing maybe this is the reason that the drive pulley started working its way down the shaft. That might be the cause of the missing filler plug also. Im almost done fabbing up a special tool that they show in the manual to hold shaft from turning out of an extra 14 ga. disk that I had left over from building a new muffler for the cart. I pulled the starter threw it in the truck, and i am going to take it to get rebuilt tomorrow. I figure I have until sometime next week before my seal kit shows up so I might as well get it done while im waiting. I will defiantly keep everyone updated on what happens next. Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson