lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
papaw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Best Way To Painting Trim On CC

My trim is turning gray i plan on repainting it. What is the best paint type and what can i do to prevent it from fadding again? Plan on steying Black (Gloss -flat or semi gloss??) Will spray cans be ok?
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best Way To Painting Trim On CC

I sent you a pm but the answer is it is paintable. Spray it with adhesion promoter first then use bumper black by SEM, it comes out as a satin finish and looks good.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
I sent you a pm but the answer is it is paintable. Spray it with adhesion promoter first then use bumper black by SEM, it comes out as a satin finish and looks good.
/* I know NOTHING about painting plastic *?

About to repaint the trim on my CC. A local guy told me he uses Krylon Fusion Black satin for trim with no adhesion promoter.

Is this short cut worth the risk? he says he never uses the promoter for the trim and they hold up great.

Is he blowing smoke about the fact it will hold up? Does anyone have any experience using Krylon with no adhesion promoter?

Thanks for insights...
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You don't have to, but its a good idea to use promoter on any plastic. If you use the bumper blacks they are for flexible plastics/etc so they work well alone but nicer to use promoter it used to be cheap anyway. You can use naptha to clean the areas wipe it off completely. If its soft plastic I would not use regular paint, if its flat black I would use the bumper paint spray can or SEM the stuff is awesome and easy to use for nearly anything. I sandblasted the chrome trim on a car, put etching primer on it (was alum) and used that stuff it worked great. This was a car I restored and CC the whole thing. If its hard plastic like cart bodies then you can use regular paint, I'd still use promoter but up to you. You may not have to if you use a plastic primer. I would use a scotch pad on the plastic first also. It all depends on how good a job you want, how long it needs to last. I used that Fusion on some plastic patio chairs and it worked great, until the wind tossed them around some now they have spots the plaint came right off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am with Sho on this one use the adhesion promoter, it is about $10 for some added insurance.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
I am with Sho on this one use the adhesion promoter, it is about $10 for some added insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
You don't have to, but its a good idea to use promoter on any plastic. If you use the bumper blacks they are for flexible plastics/etc so they work well alone but nicer to use promoter it used to be cheap anyway. You can use naptha to clean the areas wipe it off completely. If its soft plastic I would not use regular paint, if its flat black I would use the bumper paint spray can or SEM the stuff is awesome and easy to use for nearly anything. Stuff cut from post by Alan.
Thank you. Sounds like good advice.
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The reason why is you can never get too much adhesion to plastic, you bump it and the plant flakes off. So a good painter will do any and everything to get the most stick to it. The bumper paint is also pretty thin, so it is less likely to crack. It is easy to touch up without showing. It is great stuff but I only have so many things to paint flat/semi black. If you put the last coat on dry its more flat, last coat wet its more semi. You can also run polish (automotive) over it and get a little more shine long as you don't put it on real dry then it gets stuck in the texture.

I clear coated a couple carts, I wet sanded with 600 then the adhesion promoter, then tinted sealer, then base color and clear. They worked out really well, the one guy I know still has it on there since '99 but he has chipped it off in spots carrying shovels and tools on the cart mostly. I had limited time, so I built a dump box for mine and later never did get around to painting it. I have some clear I should do it once the clone is in. Note the naptha will soften the yamaha body if you leave it on there, some plastics do that. But it removes wax that will screw up your paint. Some people use acetone or alcohol instead.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint