lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
340doc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Another 36 to 48 volt question !!!

My 6v batteries in my 04 TXT(series) are ready for replacement, what parts are needed for the 48v upgrade? Can I leave the stock 36v motor? What improvements can I expect from this upgrade? My cart is lifted with taller tires and is used on the street.
340doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another 36 to 48 volt question !!!

You will need a controller that will work on 48 volts, a 48 volt solenoid and 48 volt charger. Your stock motor will work. It is VERY worth the upgrade.
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah I just did mine.....the 400 amp Axe controller improved things a lot, but upping it to 48 volts did the trick with my factory motor. I spin holes in the gravel drive starting off. It gave me the torque I have been needing for these small hills in Alabama. My wire connections don't heat either up like they were at 36 volt. Do it do it do it, you will be glad you did.

YOU CAN DO IT!
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
340doc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks bond and monkey, you both speak highly of this upgrade! I'd like to start rounding up parts, would you guys recomend anyone that would have these parts? Bond, it sounds like your torque really improved, did your speed and runtime improve also? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Run time may or may not improve. I depends upon how bad your old batteries were and how good your new ones are! ... But you will see a 25-30% increase in both torque and speed... Assuming your stock motor is in good running condition
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
340doc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks scotty B, sounds good. My batteries now are coded 03, and run time is short.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My top speed seems the same, but it was fast enough with the 25" tires.....the tech told me that 48v wouldn't change the top rpm of the motor....is that right Scotty? (she's braaaaking up captain, I cunt hold her tugetha!!) I couldn't resisit that one..

Hard to tell about the range comparison from old batts to new but they seem to have more than the last new set I had of 6v's.

I may be missing something completely in this theory; but it seems to me that at least since much less amps are wasted with the motor being bogged down on up slopes and taking less time to get up to speed (motor design rpm where the motor is most efficient in use of the electrical energy being put into it), then you are using less amps in your run; those amps are not lost or wasted but retained.

I do know that the amp hrs time for the 8v's is less than the 6v's per factory.

If power = a volts x amps equation like someone said
then it stands to reason (to me) that:
higher voltage gives more power with the same amps and:
higher voltage gives the same power with less amps

If this is true then the more volts you have, the less amps it takes to make the same level of power...therefore the less amps used to do your normal driving....therefore longer run time; which could make 6-8v's closer to, comparible to, or better than 6-6v's. I don't really know for sure, but one of the reg guys told me it would extend run time before I tried it.

Maybe we should put together a $$ pot to entice one of these guys who own or work at a golf cart dealership to do a comparison: same controller for new 6-6v's for 36v and then an upgrade of solenoid and 6-8v's for 48v on like a dyno or something to get the power and run times????? I would pitch in 20 bucks or so.....

It would be nice to finally settle the debate thats for sure.
Also for sure: if you have 8-6v's to make 48v like some of the guys on here, then you have a S*#tload of run time.
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
daveM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Can you do the same upgrade to a PDS cart? (using a DCX500PDS controller)
daveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007 View Post

If power = a volts x amps equation like someone said
then it stands to reason (to me) that:
higher voltage gives more power with the same amps and:
higher voltage gives the same power with less amps
Bond you are confusing power and energy.

Power in electricity = watts = voltage x amps
Energy in electricity = watt hours = watts x time in hours.

Batteries are specified in Amp Hours at some voltage. From that we can determine how much energy a battery has in theory because it has the time element. So the capacity of a battery is watt hours = volts x amp hours. So for example a T-105 battery is rated 225 AH @ 6 volts = 225 x 6 = 1350 watt hours. A Trojan T-860 is rated at 150 AH @ 8 volts or 1200 watt hours

So if you were to replace 6 T105's in a 36 volt system, with 6 T 860's in a 48 volt system you have given up 8100 wh at 36 volts for 7200 wh at 48 volts.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I know it was the biggest difference I have seen in performance way more than upgrading controller and wires which I was happy with that upgrade too but the difference from 36 to 48 was awesome at least for me but I have a DCS cart not a Series. In fact I would be fine with only the torque and not the speed I don't really need all the speed for me especially when I have my 9 year old driving me around.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO