lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
atl250guardbum
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 cc high charging amps

My 1986 club car project is on its way back on the road. I originally bought car for 500 bucks. Put 130 into motor due to a bad electrical lead on motor. Many days spent looking for obvious but I found it. Repaired and put in new b earings. Days after I have found the wiring crossed on the receptacle that takes the charger. Replaced the receptacle as I broke it when I cleaned the contacts. WIred according to the diagram I downloaded on this forum.

New problem is the charger wants to pull 25 amps all the time. I only let it charge for about 30-45 mins as I dont wont to start a fire. I am using a standard outside electrical cable about 15feet long to reach outlet so I dont have charger on floor. THe charger gets hot but I have not found any wires on cart that are. The batteries are 2005 or newer but I did purchase used.
Will a bad cell make the charger pull lots of amps?
The reverse horn is not hooked up. I removed the wire to the key switch and it still pulled the large amperage. Wires to motor off of FNR are 6ga. Where should I start? Test cells? Hook up reverse switch again?
atl250guardbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: 86 cc high charging amps

Time to get a Voltage reading from each Battery and across the entire Pack ?
Also if You have a hydrometer check each Battery Cell !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
atl250guardbum
Not Yet Wild

voltage reads good across pack. almost 37 volts. each batt shows at least six volts. Did not do the hydrometer check yet. Out of town. COuld this cause the high amperage draw? How long should I let the batteries charge at that amperage and will it hurt the charger. Its as old as the cart.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 1996 does the same and charges at 25 plus amps for the first few hours of charging and then starts to cut back until its down to "0". Is your charger an automatic shut down unit or a timed type. Your used batterys may be part of your problem? I see that you have good total pack voltage but what did you get for each battery? If there is a variation you may have one or more bad cells? I would do a hydrometer test with a SINGLE FLOAT TEMPERATURE CORRECTING unit. NOT ONE OF THE ANTIFREEZE MULTY BALL UNITS.
I would allow your charger to completly charge pack AFTER testing and see if ALL Batterys come up to full charge 1.277 at 80d on hydrometer.
I dont like the extension cord as it puts more load on charger and can damage it over a period of time. I use a 25 ft 10 guage 3 wire cord connected to a 20 amp outlet.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
atl250guardbum
Not Yet Wild

thanks I will try it tonight when I get home.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car