lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2021, 12:20 AM   #1
Dan dog
Not Yet Wild

Default Fe350 cylinder head questions

Hi everyone. I have a carryall 2 with a Fe350 engine. It’s a counter clockwise version 96 model. It was running then wouldn’t start spark and fuel good so I pulled the head to check the valves. Fuel valve seems okay but the exhaust valve didn’t appear to be seating properly. I removed the valves and it appears the exhaust valve guide is sitting to high. It’s kinda hard to explain but I have attached two photos that will hopefully help. I guess my questions are should the exhaust side basically look the same as the other? Should it have a stem seal like the other? From the underside should the guide stick through more? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C0B77646-A1F9-4772-9201-4058D185A236.jpg (21.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 193DD886-7B21-4323-937F-2FA803E94ABD.jpg (22.9 KB, 0 views)
Dan dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2021, 03:00 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Fe350 cylinder head questions

Do you have any pictures of the valves themselves? Maybe also a pic of the valves sitting in the head on the seats? My guess is the intake valve is worn, so the exhaust valve “looks” like it’s sticking out too far. If the intake valve is flush, it’s worn and needs to be replaced. If the edge of the intake valve even remotely resembles a pizza cutter it’s toast

I ask because I’ve never seen an exhaust valve wear out on one of these motors… just get all caked with carbon. But had a few with *really* worn intake valves.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
Dan dog
Not Yet Wild

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I think I didn’t explain properly what I think the problem is my bad. I have added some more photos that hopefully can assist. The first photo is the inlet side from the top looks normal valve stem seal etc. the second is the outlet side seams raised if you zoom in you can see the metal is all stretched no valve stem seal. 3rd photo is a view of both were you can see a notable hight difference. Apologies for the delay in reply I’m in Australia. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes they should both have valve seals.

Really need a picture of the valves in the other side where the valve seats, and maybe a side profile picture of the valves themselves. If the intake valve is worn it will sit quite a bit higher than the exhaust from the top, because it “sinks in” to the seat.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
Dan dog
Not Yet Wild

Here are some more photos. As you can see the valves appear to be quite even in height when fully seated. The 3rd picture is through the exhaust port. Should the valve guide be visible as it is on the other side. My guess is that it has somehow lifted hence the damaged spring seat in previous photo and why the guide sits higher than the other. Once again thanks.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sorry, I think I understand what you were meaning by the valve guides looking different. I think it’s hard to tell in the pictures between the dirt/staining and pieces of valve seal… I’d try and remove all traces of the valve seals on both sides for a fair comparison. Valve seals have a steel insert in them that gives them rigidity and I think that may be what you’re looking at
Old 10-17-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
Dan dog
Not Yet Wild

I have removed the what was left of the seal and this is a closeup of what’s left. You can see the remains of the spring seat. I measured it and it’s about 8mm higher than the other. I see you can buy the parts new to fix this I assume they just press in from the top? Thanks again for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7885C3A1-62E9-47FB-8A78-FA126AA46805.jpg (126.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Wasn't sure so I took a look at a head I had in storage and to me it doesn't look like anything is wrong there, but the one I have is a 97+ clockwise engine and there are differences in the heads on some of these Fe350s.

If the exhaust guide has lifted, then you should get a machine shop to knurl a new guide and press it in. Just cramming a new one in there will probably result in the same failure in a short time.

Typically if a valve guide moves its because the engine has overheating (as in being run multiple times overheated), or there is excessive buildup on the base of the valve stem that is causing the valve to stick to the guide. Normally this results in the guide dropping (being pulled down toward the cylinder).
A lifted guide is almost entirely due to overeating.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #9
Dan dog
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info guys 👍
Old 10-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #10
buggyAl
Getting Wild

I have had this on a couple of heads that I have redone. A new valve guide is not expensive, only about $7.50 each. However you need a special driver to remove the old one and drive in the new one. Also need is a reemer to reem the inside of the guide after instalation. When I replace them I also use Permatex® High Temperature Sleeve Retainer to cement them inplace. This has been very successful. I believe the reemer is a 7mm. Reemer and driver were about $50 on ebay. I tend to buy Kawasaki motor parts from my local John Deere dealer. The Fe290 and Fe350 were also used in Gators. Can typically get the parts faster and no shipping $. Usually a lot cheaper than my local CC dealer.
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car