lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #11
drcox
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery not charging - dash light blinking

To clarify, I purchased the cart in 2017, but it was a complete rebuild on a 2014 chassis. Apparently, the OBC was part of the original 2014 chassis. Everything else, including the batteries were brand new in 2017. Thanks for catching that detail. It obviously was important. I've attached photos of the charger and OBC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBC.jpg (231.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Charger.jpg (232.9 KB, 0 views)
drcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - you would have to bypass the OBC if you switch to a modern smart charger. That's easy to do and it's detailed in a sticky here.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
drcox
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, it just keeps getting better. It looks like I just need to buy a new smart charger. That eliminates any problems caused by a bad OBC or a bad charger. The only thing else that could be causing the problem are bad batteries. And for now, at least, it looks like my batteries are okay. And, the savings is awesome. Any recommendations on a smart charger?
Old 10-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Although the Summit 2 is the best one you can buy, I have had great luck with these and they work with or without an obc....

https://www.amazon.com/Max48-Battery...s%2C330&sr=8-3

I'm surprised that a 2014 has an obc...I guess a few slipped through...Is the serial # on the cart..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I like the Lester Summit 2 chargers. Very flexible. Not cheap though but still way less than a replacement OBC.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #16
drcox
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys. With your expert help, I'm making progress, but things still look a little squirrely. I bought a MODZ Max48 charger and connected it to my Club Cart yesterday afternoon. The charger immediately fired up, with the OBC still in line, ran through some diagnostic light flashing, and settled in with a flashing red light. That is what I expected since the batteries, after 36-holes of use, were at about 65% charge. After 3 hours of charging, the charger light switched to yellow flashing, as expected. After another 2 hours of charging, the light switched to solid green, indicating a full charge.

But, a couple of hours later the charger light was flashing 6-green>1-red>3-yellow>pause>2-yellow>1-red, and repeated that sequence for hours. I couldn't find anything online to indicate what that code meant. This morning, the charger light was solid green. The voltage went from a total of 49.24V (65%) after 36 holes, to 51.45V (100%) after the charge. All seemed fine, but a couple hours later, the Club Car's dash light began flashing yellow with the charger plugged in, but no light with the charger disconnected. When I plugged the charger back in, it started up and has been charging with flashing yellow charger light for a hour so far.

SO, is everything okay, or is there still something wrong? What did the multi-color flashing mean?
Old 10-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #17
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

A bad or weak battery could be causing it...Did you test the batteries under load...I just diagnosed a cart for someone in my complex..All the standing voltages read 8.4 and above but under load one dropped to 3 volts...
Put your meter on each battery and floor it and watch your meter..An 8v battery shouldn't drop below 7 volts...If you have a meter with a high/low setting it would make it easier...Can you post the serial # of your cart...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #18
drcox
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I found the papers on my Club Car. I purchased it from Justice Golf Carts in 2017. It was a complete rebuild on a 2012 chasis, not a 2014, as I had recalled earlier. Sorry. The serial number is PH1228-******.

Everything was new except the chassis and drive train. The OBC was original (2012), and I just noticed that the PowerDrive3 charger has a Date Code of 12/08.

Of the three things that could have caused my problem, the new MODZ MAX48 charger replaced two of them (saving a lot of money). The batteries, 2017 US Battery brand, have been well maintained, so I'm hoping for a few more years of service from them.

I just tested all batteries again and they tested 8.52 to 8.66 (no load), and 8.13 to 8.23 (under load).

I visited with MODZ tech support this morning regarding the weird charger light sequence I experienced last night. He said it was probably caused by a faulty OBC. When I questioned him about their claim that their chargers work on carts with or without an OBC, he said that that was true, but only if the OBC was good. A bad OBC could cause issues including weird light codes. He recommended bypassing the OBC. Sounds like a good idea to me, even if the charger is doing what it's supposed to do. Taking the OBC out of the equation is a simple procedure and has no down side.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #19
drcox
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

UPDATE: The MODZ MAX48 smart charger seems to be doing its job well, but I do have a question regarding the orange battery light on the dash of the Club Car. Following a full charge of the batteries after a round of golf, and with the charger still connected, the dash light begins blinking (1 second on / 5 seconds off) indefinitely. During the charge, the voltmeter showed about 58 votes. The dash light was off. Once the the charge is complete and the MODZ stops charging, the dash light begins blinking. (But, if I unplug the charger cable from the cart, the dash light does not blink.) At multiple checks following a full charge, the batteries are at about 51.0 volts. So, the flashing light is not drawing down the batteries or, if it is, the charger engages to top them off.

I was going to bypass the OBC to see if that stopped the blinking, but it's a little more involved that I had anticipated. I don't want to mess with the OBC if it's not necessary.

I'm hoping that the blinking dash light is harmless, but I thought I'd check with you guys to see what you think and to get your recommendation.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #20
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

black electricians tape over the battery light works
i disconnected mine 6 yrs ago, it's pretty worthless anyway
a volt meter works better for battery status indicator
my 03 still has the obc
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car