lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Marathon running too rich

Without too much detail I bought a 1989 Marathon last year that didnít exactly run great. Long story short they installed a 2pg piston into a 3pg motor. I straightened all that out and got the correct cylinder and piston in it but the cart never ran 100 percent. It honestly felt like the clutch was slipping as it seemed to never rev super high. I had an 88 marathon to compare it too and that thing completely waxed it.

Fast forward to yesterday I went to take it out and it started just fine then after about 10 seconds fell flat on its face and was blowing a bunch of smoke out the exhaust. I figured I fouled a plug. Today I bought plugs and it will not run right. Just heavy smoke and the new plug is drenched with fuel. Removed the drive belt for no load and put another plug in it.

Still nothing, it now cranks a long 10 seconds before finally starting and is running maybe at half rpmís while smoking bad and the plug is soaked in fuel again. It always started just fine before but ran sluggish now itís full on terrible. Please help
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2024, 07:23 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Marathon running too rich

Look at the pictures in this thread and then take your fuel pump apart to check for a ripped
Lower diaphragm. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=98839
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:04 AM   #3
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Really appreciate the response. I will take a look at my pump tonight after work.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:50 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Are you running oil injection or pre-mixing? IF you're oil injecting do NOT run it again until the fuel pump is proven to be ok, which I doubt it is (like CA is thinking above too).......

A bad lower diaphragm in the fuel pump will allow it to run just as you describe but it'll seize the engine if oil-injected, if pre-mixing you're safe.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:35 AM   #5
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Are you running oil injection or pre-mixing? IF you're oil injecting do NOT run it again until the fuel pump is proven to be ok, which I doubt it is (like CA is thinking above too).......

A bad lower diaphragm in the fuel pump will allow it to run just as you describe but it'll seize the engine if oil-injected, if pre-mixing you're safe.
Itís premix, I learned a few cards back the hard way to not trust oil injection on these. Whether the oil injection works or not I always unhook it and run premix.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:56 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Whew!! Good Job, wish everyone I know would've taken that advice before it happened. Fuel pumps are cheap, I'd just replace it. Then dissect your old one for the fun of it, the rip is hard to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20200915_180404 (2).jpeg (145.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200915_180404 (2)_LI.jpg (549.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200916_092910.jpg (198.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:21 AM   #7
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Whew!! Good Job, wish everyone I know would've taken that advice before it happened. Fuel pumps are cheap, I'd just replace it. Then dissect your old one for the fun of it, the rip is hard to see.
I ordered one up off Amazon should be here tomorrow. My 1988 had an issue camping last year which ended up being a crank seal but being on vacation I was willing to try anything. There was an EZGO dealer near that actually had a fuel pump on hand and absolutely gouged me for $130 to buy a new one and it ended up not being the issue. I realize Amazon may be lesser quality but I can buy a lot of $20 fuel pumps over OEM price.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:28 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I always recommend visually verifying the problem before buying parts.

Last night I was troubleshooting a nose wheel steering issue on an Airbus. I knew what the problem was going to be, but still followed the procedures to verify the failure. When I'm changing parts that easily cost more than most houses, they want me to be really sure.

While diagnosing over the internet on just your description, I have an idea what it might be. In the end I'm still just guessing.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:12 AM   #9
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

Last night I was troubleshooting a nose wheel steering issue on an Airbus. I knew what the problem was going to be, but still followed the procedures to verify the failure. When I'm changing parts that easily cost more than most houses, they want me to be really sure.

While diagnosing over the internet on just your description, I have an idea what it might be. In the end I'm still just guessing.

I agree with this however when itís only $20 and can be returned hassle free I just wanted it to get on its way to me. Besides parts like this I view as a wear item and is never a bad idea to have one in the shelf.

That being said I did take it apart. The top gasket was fine and when I got to the lower I immediately saw a white stress ring around half the circle area of the gasket. There also was about a 1/8Ē or so cut in that stress area. So thanks to you guys I hopefully found my issue. Pump should be arriving today.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:57 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

No no, you're not guessing. It's a very well educated experienced conclusion

I always enjoy your airplane stories too, Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO