lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2024, 09:16 PM   #1
Jayhawk Buggie
Not Yet Wild

Default Rat's!

We have a 2006 ez-go gas with the Robin engine. Over the winter rodents chewed up the wiring. Between the rodents and the dog trying to kill the rodents there was not much left to work with. It took a while but I finally found a new harness. and I feel confident that everything is connected properly. I have power where I am supposed to when the key is on and the pedal is pushed. The engine turns over and power is getting to the coil (12.3 volts) but I am not getting any spark. I replaced the coil and same thing. Power going in but still no spark. I found the coil test procedure here (thx Trig) and both coils test good. I tried to check voltage at the plug wire but no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated. Mama wants her buggy back!
Jayhawk Buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2024, 09:35 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rat's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk Buggie View Post
We have a 2006 ez-go gas with the Robin engine. Over the winter rodents chewed up the wiring. Between the rodents and the dog trying to kill the rodents there was not much left to work with. It took a while but I finally found a new harness. and I feel confident that everything is connected properly. I have power where I am supposed to when the key is on and the pedal is pushed. The engine turns over and power is getting to the coil (12.3 volts) but I am not getting any spark. I replaced the coil and same thing. Power going in but still no spark. I found the coil test procedure here (thx Trig) and both coils test good. I tried to check voltage at the plug wire but no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated. Mama wants her buggy back!
I just completed wiring one myself as I installed a MCI 350 in a 1999 TXT . I had an extra wiring harness and mine fires and runs great. Yours will the the MCI engine.
Was your running before the rodents chewed the wires up ? Is your pulser wires connected good ? Make sure the rodents didn't chew those wires under the plastic cover up . Ohm the pulser and see what your reading is and post back results. It should be 433.5 to 586.5 ohms.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:21 PM   #3
Jayhawk Buggie
Not Yet Wild

It was running great before the rodent attack!

The pulser checks .519 and the coil by its self checks good.

I have 11.16 volts going into the coil but when I stick the tester on the plug wire I get nothing.

Under the plastic cover is almost all new wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulser coil.jpg (213.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg coil incoming volts.jpg (204.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg coil jumper.jpg (178.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (229.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:27 PM   #4
Jayhawk Buggie
Not Yet Wild

The only wires I could not figure out are the black and white coming from the pedal box harness. They don't go into the micro switch box like the red and green wires. Not sure where they originate or go to as they are not on the schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedal box wires.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:28 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The only wires I could not figure out are the black and white coming from the pedal box harness. They don't go into the micro switch box like the red and green wires. Not sure where they originate or go to as they are not on the schematic.
Don't worry about the black and white wires going to pedal switch under floor mat . They are on all ezgo's. I call them the wires to nowhere They are snipped at the pedal switch end also. Came that way from the factory.

If I had to guess I would say you have a ground wire disconnected . Look good on your harness and see if you got this black wire connected I showed. It goes to ignitor. Not the black wire with white stripe. Just plain black wire.

Take your meter and use a tiny piece of wire stuck in connection and test it for continuity with the black wire coming out of harness I showed in first picture .
That wire has to be grounded to a good ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring for MCI ezgo.jpg (112.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg plug in ezgo.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg test continuity with tiny wire stuck in connection.jpg (100.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:08 PM   #6
Jayhawk Buggie
Not Yet Wild

That wire has a short jumper to the ground stud on the L bracket that the solenoid, voltage regulator and etc. are mounted to. See pic. I cleaned all the grounds on the cart and checked continuity previously. I checked again to the connector like you showed and it is good. I am banging my head at this point!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8532.jpg (110.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:37 PM   #7
Jayhawk Buggie
Not Yet Wild

Well apparently I disturbed something in the igniter plug while checking the ground for continuity. I decided to check the spark one last time before calling it a night. It lit up. I put the plug back in and it started right up! Unbelievable!

The only thing I did was disconnect that plug, stick a wire in it, ran a meter check, pull the wire out and plug it back in.

Since it was your idea to check that ground, you get the credit for fixing another one!

Thank you for your responses Trig. You are always helpful to the forum dwellers.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Well apparently I disturbed something in the igniter plug while checking the ground for continuity. I decided to check the spark one last time before calling it a night. It lit up. I put the plug back in and it started right up! Unbelievable!

The only thing I did was disconnect that plug, stick a wire in it, ran a meter check, pull the wire out and plug it back in.

Since it was your idea to check that ground, you get the credit for fixing another one!

Thank you for your responses Trig. You are always helpful to the forum dwellers.
You welcome . You know where to look if it happens again and you made Moma happy .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO