lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2024, 08:54 AM   #1
cdooer
Not Yet Wild

Default Another sound dampening question

Hey everyone. Trying to make my '86 Marathon 2-stroke a little quieter, and I bought a bunch of this stuff I was planning to use to replace the original foam that's installed under the seat, and inside the engine compartment. I've since read that there are better options, but since I've already bought this stuff, is it a terrible idea to go ahead and install it?

cdooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Another sound dampening question

I would just be careful to make sure that it doesnít get exposed to anything that could ignite it..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:21 AM   #3
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

^ This would be my biggest concern with this material. That and it degrading as it gets wet and moldy if the engine area is not splash resistant.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
cdooer
Not Yet Wild

I put a heat gun almost right up against it and let it run for a few mins. It melted, but it didn't catch fire. My only concern would be under the seat, over top of the muffler. Hmm...
Old 05-07-2024, 10:03 AM   #5
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdooer View Post
I put a heat gun almost right up against it and let it run for a few mins. It melted, but it didn't catch fire. My only concern would be under the seat, over top of the muffler. Hmm...
There is a very big difference between a heat gun blowing hot air and direct contact too especially like you mentioned with the exhaust.

Are different mufflers not an option?
Old 05-07-2024, 10:26 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't put it on the area that's over the muffler, there should be a metal heat shield plate on the plywood seat there. Anywhere else might be ok, is there such a thing as fire proof insulation?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:31 AM   #7
cdooer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
There is a very big difference between a heat gun blowing hot air and direct contact too especially like you mentioned with the exhaust.

Are different mufflers not an option?
That's a great point. Not sure about a different muffler, she's pretty old and I could only find one replacement for it, which is identical to the one that's on it.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #8
cdooer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I wouldn't put it on the area that's over the muffler, there should be a metal heat shield plate on the plywood seat there. Anywhere else might be ok, is there such a thing as fire proof insulation?
I wondering if something like this might be a better option, at least for the backside of the seat; https://www.amazon.com/Car-Sound-Dea...c1df98776&th=1
Old 05-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #9
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdooer View Post
That's a great point. Not sure about a different muffler, she's pretty old and I could only find one replacement for it, which is identical to the one that's on it.
Might not be a drop in option but if you have any fab abilities or tools could likely make something work I would imagine.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:39 PM   #10
SOUTHVIEW
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Use what you have. It will be fine as long as it doesnít fall down on the motor or get soaking wet. It will deteriorate over time and fall apart depending on conditions it is used in. It will help. But, the automotive sound dampening pads is a better option. Not the thin foil peel and stick stuff. The 1/2Ē foam density with self adhesive backing is what you want. 👍. But, since you already have this. Go for it. Headliner adhesive will work to hold it under the seat.
SOUTHVIEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO