lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2023, 08:20 PM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car precedent- 3 speed options

Good deal. AMD is a much stronger motor.

Solenoid is a definite must at 400A.

I’d recommend cables but the pre-made ones are pricey, couple hundred bucks. I make my own cables via Amazon for half the price and you get tools out of it you can use in the future, and have extra material left over. 1/0 is generally a little cheaper because it’s more commonly used than 2awg and bigger (which is better). you can buy 25 feet for about 35 bucks. That’s enough to do every cable in your cart and then some. A set of hydraulic crimpers on Amazon 30-40 bucks. And ring terminals figure another 10 bucks. There are cheaper ways to crimp big wire but the hydraulic crimpers are really the way to go. Just remove one cable at a time and make a new one to replace it the same length out of the bigger wire.

You won’t absolutely “have” to do the cables right away if your oem ones are in good shape. But I’d definitely recommend it when you’re able.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2023, 02:05 AM   #22
greg-g
Gone Wild

Here is some info that I asked about to the speed code 5 guy, and my cart.
Stock controllers are set to run at less than 150 amps
The code 5 uses the additional 100 amps
The code 5 matches the motors field map
The code 5 works great with large tires with speeds 26 to 28mph. You'll are spreading fake news don't know where you get your info.
Read the website or email them.
greg-g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:49 AM   #23
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer188910 View Post
All, great information and I appreciate each of your opinions! Seems like the mutual response is Alltrax, selenoid, cables, motor, etc...

However, as mentioned in the original price is a huge factor and was looking for more of a budget solution. I.E. Bandit only for $289, or speed code 5 for $150. Am I crazy to think that there is no budgetary solution out there for my needs? Just want to go 22MPH with some good torque, nothing crazy!
That's how it starts out.

Cheap, reliable, fast. You can only Pick two.

In all seriousness if you drop the 23" tires and go with a 20" size that cart will easily run the speed you want, and have all the torque to go almost anywhere, with a stock motor and the Alltrax 400 controller. You still would need to upgrade cables and the solenoid, so around $800 would probably be the total for parts required. Bigger tires need bigger juice and will eventually cook the stock motor. Especially if you're doing any kind of off-road use.

I just put an XCT 400 in a cart for a guy here that just wanted some extra torque and it blew his mind the amount of power it had afterward. 24mph on flat pavement, and it will throw rooster tails in the mud.

Speed code does nothing for torque. It might make some speed eventually but it will be a dead dog on any kind of hill.

Like I said before, the bandit motor will fry itself trying to turn a big tire on anything other than smooth asphalt. If you're in the Villages FL, then it would probably be fine. But if you've got any kind of a hill, dirt, trails, sand, off-roading or hunting or in the woods, that's just asking to get stranded. Even PQ says not to use that motor for any kind of off-road usage or for big tire carts.

We haven't even talked about batteries yet...
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #24
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

Love my FSIP and 440 Navitas, but as Fairtax said...not cheap. The controller was by far the biggest improvement I've made to my 2007 Precedent mechanically. I only replaced the motor because it was shot. I don't side with Nav or Alltrax, but those that take positions on this forum are much experienced than I am and I needed a controller I could get same day. What I do know is that a new controller will make you happier. Tires bigger than 21-22s or speeds greater than 25 may just not...and almost definitely not together.
Jmuoio81213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:30 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Here is some info that I asked about to the speed code 5 guy, and my cart.
Stock controllers are set to run at less than 150 amps
The code 5 uses the additional 100 amps
The code 5 matches the motors field map
The code 5 works great with large tires with speeds 26 to 28mph. You'll are spreading fake news don't know where you get your info.
Read the website or email them.

I’d just like to see quantifiable proof. Besides I’ve seen my stock 250A controller well over “less than 150 amps”…

Just like the $50 “MAF chips” that are a 30 cent resistor in a plastic box and claim to add 20 hp and 5mpg
Old 01-12-2023, 08:59 PM   #26
greg-g
Gone Wild

Prove it sounds like fake news to me do you even have a dc amp meter
greg-g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:43 PM   #27
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Prove it sounds like fake news to me do you even have a dc amp meter
posts like this really tell me a lot about where your information comes from. Thanks for contributing
Old 01-12-2023, 11:05 PM   #28
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

CP I guess we better straighten up, we don’t want the BFI busting us for dismissinformation.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:08 PM   #29
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
CP I guess we better straighten up, we don’t want the BFI busting us for dismissinformation.

Sorry. I try to make sense. One of these days I’ll buy me a real volt meter and measure some amp draws with it. Then I can stop using my harbor freight test light to do that job
Old 01-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #30
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Alright guys, appreciate the feedback- sounds like stock motor with controller upgrade is the way I am going. 4AWG cables & solenoid too. I like the Alltrax 400… but it’s a bit out of budget. I am looking at the Curtis 350 as a potential upgrade- there is many on eBay for right around $300. Anyone have thoughts on this? Would I have to reprogram the controller with my speed code 4 to unlock…? Any info is great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39438448700...Bk9SR4Cix4W3YQ
golfer188910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed, torque, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car