lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Replace starter selenoid - generic ok?

Got my *new to me* 92 ezgo gti800 2 stroke utility cart home and started playing with it. (Pictures to follow soon...). Bought it as a non-runner. Anyway, put a new battery in it and, nothing! Tracing through the electrical, I get power to the starter selenoid (through microswitches, etc) but the selenoid isn't closing power to the starter.
My question is, can I just go to the auto parts store and get 12v starter selenoid or is the ezgo one something special?
tenn_blue59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replace starter selenoid - generic ok?

A regular starter solenoid may look the part but it is designed to be actived by the key switch and after the engine has started, go back to the off state.

Your cart solenoid is designed to stay on all the time you are driving. If you use a regular solenoid it will soon get very hot and eventually burn out.

You need a solenoid designed to be constantly on and although there probably are some generics out there you would be better off buying the right part. I got mine from this forum sponsor, for about $24
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave! I kind of thought that was going to be the case, but was hoping to be able to run down the street and pick up what I need and come back and see if there are other problems with it.
Didn't want to have to wait on part delivery, since we have no local Ezgo dealer round here.
Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Any golf cart 12V solenoid will work on your EZGO. The principle is the same. I use an EZGO solenoid on my Yamaha G2. Made by Roger White- Mexico.
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Any Constant-Duty solenoid will work.Try Napa,Tractor-Supply,etc..Get one for a Snow-Plow or Truck-Mounted Lift-Gate.As long as it is a 4-post(2 cables,2 control terminals.)it will work.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I want to thank everybody for the help and replies! I have a pretty good understanding of basic engine 101, but don't know the little quirks of carts...

I was in NAPA yesterday for another "project" and was asking them if they stocked what I need for the cart. As somebody said, they call it a constant duty selenoid, and while they didn't have it in stock, it will be there on Tuesday morning waiting for me.

In the interum, I was able to jump power to the output post of the selenoid with an old battery cable - just touched the positively connected cable to the output side of the selenoid, and got the engine to spin so I could check out more stuff.

Compression is 120 psi, so that seems ok. Spark was good as well. Gotta replace the fuelline (was deteriorating and leaking). Figure once I get the new selenoid in, Ill put some premix in the tank (just to be safe...) and see if it fires up!!!!

Thanks again guys!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You are very welcome tenn-blue, I hope you get as much pleasure from messing with your cart as I did, enjoy.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Tenn,
Just for spits and giggles, remove the two small wires from your solenoid and use two jumper wires from the battery to the two small posts.
Doesn't matter which one goes on which post because the solenoid is not internally grounded. If it spins over your solenoid is Ok, If it doesn't you need to replace it.
I just wasn't sure how you tested it and hate to see money wasted.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

IT RUNS!!!!!
Got the selenoid in and installed. I decided to pull the oil injection system and went with premix, so removed all that stuff... Primed the fuel line and she fired right up.
Spent another couple hours or so tying up wiring, fixing tears to the harness wrapping, running down some loose wiring on the lights (it has head and tail/brake lights on it), and then getting it down off the jackstands.

My 13 year old son had helped me work on it over the last few days, so I let him take it around the yard for the first run - not sure whose smile was bigger, his or mine!

I had tested the old selenoid before I ordered the new one as suggested, and it was dead.

I still need to recover the seat (has some tears and is pretty worn), and need to paint the utility bed (thinking of rhino-liner/linexing it - Any recommendations?).

Then it should be "done" for a while - other projects to work on....
May do a lift kit some day, but just want to enjoy it for now and work out any bugs for a while.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
As soon as I can figure out how to post them, I will be posting some pictures in the member's rides section so you can see the old gal.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good job, I love a story with a happy ending
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO