lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2009 Precedent 48v Not Running

Hi all, already found lots of great info here so thanks for that. Yesterday my cart just decided to not run. Accessories were powering on, reverse buzzer would sound if I put it in reverse, but no motion or event attempt.

So I started troubleshooting...before I found the service manual. I disconnected the negative battery yesterday and now the reverse buzzer doesn’t sound at all either, and still not running.

Interestingly, I was going through the troubleshooting steps and got to the Tow/Run switch which the book says should have less than 5v when in Tow and near 50v when in Run. My cart registers 50v in Tow, to which the book says replace the switch if in it’s above 5v in Tow.

A) Any additional thoughts? I started down the MCOR path, but now I’m worried maybe I shot the OBC? I tried a reset procedure I found on here but no effect. Logic tells me that if the Tow/Run switch is bad as it seems to be, that validates why everything else was working but no drive.

B) Any idea where to snag a Tow/Run switch? I’m going to call a local shop tomorrow and I assume they have them, but I can’t find one online that looks like the currently installed one.

Thanks in advance!
JWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Precedent 48v Not Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWreck View Post
Hi all, already found lots of great info here so thanks for that. Yesterday my cart just decided to not run. Accessories were powering on, reverse buzzer would sound if I put it in reverse, but no motion or event attempt.

So I started troubleshooting...before I found the service manual. I disconnected the negative battery yesterday and now the reverse buzzer doesn’t sound at all either, and still not running.

Interestingly, I was going through the troubleshooting steps and got to the Tow/Run switch which the book says should have less than 5v when in Tow and near 50v when in Run. My cart registers 50v in Tow, to which the book says replace the switch if in it’s above 5v in Tow.

A) Any additional thoughts? I started down the MCOR path, but now I’m worried maybe I shot the OBC? I tried a reset procedure I found on here but no effect. Logic tells me that if the Tow/Run switch is bad as it seems to be, that validates why everything else was working but no drive.

B) Any idea where to snag a Tow/Run switch? I’m going to call a local shop tomorrow and I assume they have them, but I can’t find one online that looks like the currently installed one.

Thanks in advance!
You could jump the two wires going to the run tow together and see if the cart will run.

You shouldn't have got a reverse buzzer if the tow run circuit was "disconnected" by the bad switch. The cart would be dead if that was the case.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can also bypass the OBC pretty easily. You'll need to look over the forum to see what the full consequences of bypassing it are. I'm not sure if it will negatively effect your charging process. When I bypassed mine I went to a different charger so I never looked into it.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
You could jump the two wires going to the run tow together and see if the cart will run.

You shouldn't have got a reverse buzzer if the tow run circuit was "disconnected" by the bad switch. The cart would be dead if that was the case.

Is that safe for everything on the cart? I guess it’s just like putting it in run huh
Old 11-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You can also bypass the OBC pretty easily. You'll need to look over the forum to see what the full consequences of bypassing it are. I'm not sure if it will negatively effect your charging process. When I bypassed mine I went to a different charger so I never looked into it.

Also I have to just say...holy cow...to your cart! That thing must zip!
Old 11-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:

I’m just going off of what the book says, which is if it gets above 5v to the pink wire while in tow, the switch is bad. I believe I would get the reverse buzzer even when in tow, but I could be mistaken.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Also I have to just say...holy cow...to your cart! That thing must zip!
Thanks! It's pretty darn quick especially for its size!

Old 11-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Update: Tried jumping the tow/run wires together and still no action. I think there’s something wrong with the OBC? I left the batteries disconnected for about 20 minutes to let it fully discharge but didn’t seem to change anything.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #9
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Update: Tried jumping the tow/run wires together and still no action. I think there’s something wrong with the OBC? I left the batteries disconnected for about 20 minutes to let it fully discharge but didn’t seem to change anything.
A quick test for the OBC would be to plug the charger in if the charger kicks on then the OBC is functioning.

Your aim is a little wild. It's probably something simple. Start with the basic wiring and let it lead you to culprit.

Have you looked over the wiring diagram?

Do you have a multi meter? A few test on the main harness connector will rule out all the components on the run tow circuit.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Easiest first...Did you check the 15a fuse near the controller...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car