lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric Motor Removal

Fellas,

Are there any tricks to getting the motor off? All the bolts are off and the motor can freely spin but for the life of me I can not "wiggle" it off!

NLaudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Electric Motor Removal

Try taking a 2x4 about four foot long and smacking the the rear edge till you can get a couple screw drivers and pry the motor off the splines are rusted not releasing.When you get it apart never seize the splines when reinstalling the motor,use the butt end off 2x4 using it as a ram.
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

take the brake drum off and turn it around and put it back on . stand the rear end up on end and give it a few hits on the ground . i would use some plywood so not to bang up the drum to bad and some thing soft for the motor to land on .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

Swan,

I apologize as I am a little confused. Just an FYI, right now the brakes are off and I have the axles removed from both sides.

My plan was to removed the motor and clean up/paint this thing. I also have a new motor that is going on it.

I am guessing you are saying to put it up on its end and carefully hit the end onto the ground hopefully jarring the motor loose. If that is not right, let me know.

I was confused at the part of taking the drum off, turning it around, then putting it back on.

Roxy, thanks for the idea. I was trying to pry it with screw drivers earlier but the only ones that currently fit are small and weak.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you try the standing it end and smacking the axle on the ground better have a extra set of hands to catch motor if have removed alot of stuck motors with the two by four theory never let me down.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

yea
put a long, loose bolt in to prevent "toe pain" :-)
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxyflash View Post
If you try the standing it end and smacking the axle on the ground better have a extra set of hands to catch motor if have removed alot of stuck motors with the two by four theory never let me down.
Thanks Roxy! I guess I don't really understand the process that you were explaining. Are you straight up smacking the motor with the 2x4? Or are you using the 2x4 in between the motor and a hammer?
Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

you put the drum on backwards to protect the lug stems to not damage the threads. looking at your pic i could not see the axles were all taken apart. Yes the theory is a few hits on the ground and its frees up the motor and it falls off.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have never had to try the reverse brake drum procedure but I have seen other well respected guys here (Swan being one) say that it worked when nothing else did. If you don't want to try it now just keep it in mind incase all else fails.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just smacking it you can spray penetrating oil where it separates to help loosen pb nlaster ,liquid wrench let it soak them give it a try.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car