lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
mark74star
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default solenoid/diode

I have a 98 Club Car, 36 volt system. First I replaced the batteries, the cart ran immediately after installation with key switch on or off. The next day my cart wouldn't run as the batteries were completely dead. I recharged the batteries and they are fine. I figured on a stuck solenoid and replaced it. I used the same diode and "snubber" that was already on cart. (is a snubber the same as a resistor?). Since then Ive installed a new diode and new microswitches. The cart still does not run.

Today I jumped the 2 main terms on solenoid, with the cart jacked up, and got the tires to move. I figure I may have ruined the new solenoid by using original and probably faulty diode?

Is there a way to test this so called snubber/resistor? Would this cause the cart not to run? Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you in advance!
mark74star is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: solenoid/diode

Try running without resistor or diode to determine if they are the problem.
Resistor should ohm Ω out at 250 for 36v or 470 for 48v. The diode should have continuity one way and not the other..... If it has continuity both ways it has failed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Check your battery voltage. A stuck solenoid like you described will kill them completely if left in forward or reverse overnight. If you installed your diode backwards, it most likely cooked the limit switch in the V-Glide. Make sure it clicks when you hit the pedal.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
mark74star
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response, together we will get this thing running.

Scotty, i removed diode and snubber. After removing these things the cart did not work. While doing so, I noticed a big terminal on the solenoid kinda burnt looking. the new diode I installed is shot according to continuity test. Maybe the resistor was bad, which in turn killed the new solenoid and diode? just a thought i guess. Im not sure if im testing the snubber/resistor correctly but it reads 0 on multi meter.

Tahoe, my batteries are all reading 6.3. when not working on the cart i disconnect the mains to not drain the batteries(again). ive replaced the switches, that i may have ruined myself already, and they are still good.

so I'm thinking about replacing the solenoid, and buying a new resistor and diode...

Thanks again for any input!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Double check your wiring of the batteries again with the drawing you made or pictures you took before replacing your batteries. If no pictures are available take one and post it here.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
mark74star
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't had much luck with the cart yet, starting to wonder about a key switch. The wires are good, but is there an easy way to test or jump the key switch? Ive installed a new solenoid, no diode or resistor yet, and the cart will not run yet. The microswitches are good, new solenoid, good batteries. Anything under the floor mat I should look at? I'm going to try to include a diagram of some of the main things on this cart, maybe I've got something wrong. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (187.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car