lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trying to understand AH

I知 looking at / researching lithium batteries, as mine are dying lol. As I知 looking at the different options, I知 trying to understand Ah痴. Example... if I went with 4 12 volt batteries that were say 20 Ah, would the total Ah be 80 or 20... Conversely if I put two 48 batteries that were 50ah together is the total Ah 50 or 100?

Thanks just trying to get some edumaction on Ah痴.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Trying to understand AH

Series wiring, making four 12v batteries = 48v the AH stays the same. If they are 50 AH they stay 50 AH
Parallel wiring, Using two 48v batteries remain 48v the AH doubles. if they are 50 AH you would then have 100 AH.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
NoahSchone
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If you series your batteries your voltage will add up 12X4 batteries= 48V and the Ah will stay the same. So you will only have 20Ah and thats why your not getting very much life out of them. We offer a 48V 72Ah that will get you 30-35miles and a 105Ah that will get you 45-50miles.
NoahSchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Perfect... Thanks guys... information is power... now at least when I知 shopping I have a much better understanding of what I need.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
Perfect... Thanks guys... information is power... now at least when I知 shopping I have a much better understanding of what I need.
AH isn't "more power." AH is "more power storage". Look at AH like a gas tank. You will get further on a gas tank that holds 30 gallons vs one that holds 20 gallons. So, you will get further on a 120AH pack than you will a 60AH pack.

Both the 120AH and the 60AH provide (for example) 48V, but the bigger AH pack will provide those 48V for a longer time before they are completely discharged.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

AH is a measure of capacity. It's like the MPG for a battery.
Adding batteries together in series, + to -, + to -, and on (as done in the golf cart world) makes the voltage higher, but does not increase the AH.

Batteries in Parallel + to + to +, - to - to -, increase AH capacity, but does not increase voltage.

AH is calculated as a function of energy output over time > Amp Hours
Most cart batteries are compared at a 20hr rate, so be sure to look at the time measurement when comparing batteries.
One with a 105AH rating at 10hr, will have a higher capacity than one measured at 105AH on a 20hr measurement.

More capacity is always better IMO, but higher capacity also means higher cost, especially when it comes to lithium.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #7
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the cart is used at the campground mostly on weekends.. the current distance traveled currently is under 10 miles per day, and since the lead acid batteries are very weak, it put back on the charger when not in use.

I foresee a max of 15 miles per day, so I won't need a huge Ah rating... I looking for something is the 60ah range.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just pay attention to the discharge rate as that is affected by aH. If your lithium cells are rated at 1C, 60ah is 60 amp draw, 120ah is 120amp draw. 3C would be 180 and 360 respectfully.
The drop ins figure most of this and the bms tries to limit your current. With a smaller 48v droppin make sure and look at the max sustained current draw. Adding more droppins will increase current
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If your driving "area" is mostly paved or hard top coat, and it's flat, a 60AH pack will likely do you fine.....as long as you're not "hot-dogging" it around.

But if you have a lot of hills or long inclines, and big tires on your cart.....that's another story.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #10
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
If your driving "area" is mostly paved or hard top coat, and it's flat, a 60AH pack will likely do you fine.....as long as you're not "hot-dogging" it around.

But if you have a lot of hills or long inclines, and big tires on your cart.....that's another story.
Yes it痴 fairly flat, with some small inclines, so yes I believe 60ah will suit my needs just fine... most of the time I知 hauling the grand kids, but yes I知 prone to hot-dogging from time to time... lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium