lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Extra wide stance for stability?

Greetings! So here's my issue, my cart is really unstable when on a slant. We do trail and beach riding and very scared it rolling so I want to change the stance some. Right now I have it lifted with the Jake's longarm kit ( coilovers are horrible and add to this issue). With offset wheels, 23" tires and rear spacers (3 or 4"). If my build is no longer linked in my sig, I will get some pics to throw up here.

My thought is to lower it back down some and go VERY wide. I am looking for nice stanced pics but haven't found much that aren't lowered. What is the biggest offset with new wheels and tires and spacers that I can do? Love to go a bit extreme .... Just because [emoji1743]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Daubers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Extra wide stance for stability?

Hmmm not sure I can tell you how wide you can go, but I can tell you that the Jakes LT coil overs are very soft. You might try some stiffer coilovers like from a UTV? I have used shocks from a Yamaha Viking UTV, they are good, but long. You'd have to make sure the length is right.

The soft springs on those coil overs is probably allowing the cart to lean when on a side hill. Side hills on carts are sketch no matter what, they just weren't made for that kind of off roading. So yes, a wider stance will help. I just fear that if you go too wide in the front the tires will rub quite a bit.

Are you looking to keep the Jakes LT?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Hmmm not sure I can tell you how wide you can go, but I can tell you that the Jakes LT coil overs are very soft. You might try some stiffer coilovers like from a UTV? I have used shocks from a Yamaha Viking UTV, they are good, but long. You'd have to make sure the length is right.

The soft springs on those coil overs is probably allowing the cart to lean when on a side hill. Side hills on carts are sketch no matter what, they just weren't made for that kind of off roading. So yes, a wider stance will help. I just fear that if you go too wide in the front the tires will rub quite a bit.

Are you looking to keep the Jakes LT?
Thanks for the reply! I have been looking for new coilovers and like you said, want to get some preferably it ones. I put a set of Honda Pioneer 1000 coilovers on the rear. Just don't want to have to start ordering takeoffs to guess and test for the front. I tried to get ahold of Jake's 5x in the past 4 months and nothing back.

I would like to keep the Jake's kit considering what I have into it . I am not super concerned with rubbing, as I can get a smaller tire if needed. When I built this it was mainly in a level campground so it didn't matter. Now that we have a place on the river with some trails it has changed some. I am not looking for UTV stability but would rather not have to lean just to keep it from flipping at slow speeds and minimal grades.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Josph30
Not Yet Wild

How are the pioneer coilover doing in the rear for you as far as helping soften the ride? I've been thinking of doing that just no info on it anywhere.
Josph30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

They soften it a good bit, but are still plenty firm for 3 adults in the back.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
wannabass
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hey Daubers, nice ride! i installed 2" aluminum wheel spacers in the rear on my 6" jakes lift and it helped quite a bit.
wannabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I know of the issues you have with riding "side-hill". I have been brainstorming this problem on and off.

I've though if I could have an easy way to compress the suspension when on a side hill, that would likely help a bunch.

So, if you say....hooked up a cable under the frame, looped said cable around....let's say the left side of the rear axle. Then using a winch "crank tight" the cable thus causing the cart to lean left, and be "more level" when traversing to the left on a side hill. Then when your back on level or rolling hills, you simply un-winch it.

Speaking out loud a tensioner such as this may be something to consider:

If a switch hook up for left 'n right side could be done....then it would be easier yet.

OTOH I've been know to engineer "Monkey-Butt" solutions in the past!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
doo dah
Gone Wild

I used Polaris Predator (Fox Podium) on my Jakes LT and they work great. Stiff enough to handle a lot of weight but still ride nice. I had 2" spacers on the back to make it even with the front but sounds like you want even wider than that?
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
Josph30
Not Yet Wild

That's what I'm looking for for the rear of my cart is to help soften the ride a little. What year model pioneer and front or rear? I ask because I see the fronts are 19 3/4 long and the backs are 20. Seems a bit long unless there is some sag to them installed. Thanks in advance
Josph30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I used Polaris Predator (Fox Podium) on my Jakes LT and they work great. Stiff enough to handle a lot of weight but still ride nice. I had 2" spacers on the back to make it even with the front but sounds like you want even wider than that?
Did you have any figment problems with the FOX - 2.0 Podium X front shock on your Jakes LT front end? My Jakes shocks are wasted and squeak like crazy.

I also need to figure out something in the rear. When I drive over say a speed bump at low speed the rear end hops over and I is rough back there
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts