lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #211
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Roypow Lithium Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
The 56Ah Roy Pow can supply 50A continuous or 200A for 10 seconds maximum. Those values are borderline for any cart.

As others have said, no you cannot use your existing charger and expect to get the service life advertised. Lithium needs its own dedicated charger.
I’d stay away if continuous supply is only 50A.

I do want to know from those with experience of these ….what occurs when the max continuous is 50A, but your motor is “asking” for more? Does the battery just continue to give the 50A, or does the BMS shut down the battery?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #212
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I know that EzGo Lithium carts often come with only 60AH Lithiums and the guys I know that have them seem to have no trouble with them cutting out. They get just about 2 rounds of golf out of a charge. Not sure what batteries they are using in these but they seem to handle the current ok. These packs are small! Can't weigh much more than 50 lbs. If it were me, I would opt for a bigger pack - more like 100AH.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #213
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I know that EzGo Lithium carts often come with only 60AH Lithiums and the guys I know that have them seem to have no trouble with them cutting out. They get just about 2 rounds of golf out of a charge. Not sure what batteries they are using in these but they seem to handle the current ok. These packs are small! Can't weigh much more than 50 lbs. If it were me, I would opt for a bigger pack - more like 100AH.
Agree.....buy as many AH as your wallet will handle.

When I built my initial Leaf pack I installed a 7 module pac. Within 18 months I expanded it to a 14 pac unit (essentially 120AH) and have been "more happy" that I went with more AH.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #214
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

@Volt_Ampare,
Even though they are only 60Ah, they may have higher continuous current capability, hence the fact that they don't cut out. Or, there's current limiting occurring in the controller.

@Dave,
Without knowing the exact BMS configuration, I would expect the following to happen.
In the above example, when the current exceeds 50A the BMS will allow it for a maximum of 10 seconds. If the current remains above 50A for more than 10 seconds the BMS will shut down. If the current gets above 200A at any point, the BMS will shut down instantly.

Also, if like mine your Leaf modules are used, (which I assume they are) the 66Ah capacity is reduced to about 40Ah-45Ah, so your 14 module pack is approximately 80Ah-90Ah, but that configuration will be able to easily supply well over 500A continuously. Lithium Polymer cells are far more current capable (but also more volatile) then LIFEPo4.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #215
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't know what the AH capacity of my two Leaf carts is. My first cart has older Leaf modules (14 of them) that I have had in the cart over 6 years now. I don't notice any significant degradation since I installed them. They came out of a fairly new Leaf. My second cart has newer generation Leaf modules (two 7S ones in series) They are slightly inferior to the older ones but I still get a solid 20 miles of range (3 rounds of golf) out of them and they do not sag at all under load. I expect to get a solid 10 years out of these setups by treating them right.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:49 PM   #216
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I tested my Gen1 modules when I got them and they were 40Ah, down from 66Ah. No degradation in the last 18 months, still 40AH.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:02 AM   #217
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I tested my Gen1 modules when I got them and they were 40Ah, down from 66Ah. No degradation in the last 18 months, still 40AH.
How do you test for AH?
Old 01-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #218
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I never really tested mine but my first ones came out of a Leaf that had very few miles on it when it was crashed. That was 6 years ago in 2016. I have not noticed any change in performance since then with very heavy use. I also have not tested my newer pack for capacity but it performs well. I get slightly less range in that cart but it has different motor and different gearing so it's a bit hard to compare. I have been using that pack for just a year now. These cells can handle the high current demands of a cart better than many of the other cells being sold for carts. I have a 300 amp fuse but my BMS does not limit discharge current.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #219
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
How do you test for AH?
You have to have special equipment for that. I have a small lithium charger that will also discharge the cells. For smaller cells I can measure the capacity of the cells but my equipment can handle 3 or 4 ah batteries max. Not the 40 to 100 ah packs people are building.

I guess the other way is to get a columb counter (if that's spelled correctly) to measure the power extracted from your pack as you use it. I don't have one of those either. :(
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #220
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
How do you test for AH?
I have a power supply that I use as a charger that counts the energy in and I have discharger that counts energy out. Both numbers should be fairly equal. I tested the cells using this method prior to building the pack.

There are also battery capacity testers that can charge/discharge at up to 40 amps and are computer controlled.

Lastly, as already stated, if you have a coulomb counting SOC meter you should be able to see the Ah taken out during use and put back in during charging.

@Volt_Ampare,
You were fortunate to get nearly new modules. Mine, like most available, are from packs that have been removed from vehicles because they have a greatly reduced range.

Tags
ezgo, lithium, roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium