lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
AdamP
Getting Wild

Default Dot Windshield

Question has anyone installed the DOT windshield ? I received mine from ICON and it doesn’t have a hole in it for a windshield for the windshield wiper wonder what you used to drill the hole without cracking the windshield
AdamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Dot Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
Question has anyone installed the DOT windshield ? I received mine from ICON and it doesn’t have a hole in it for a windshield for the windshield wiper wonder what you used to drill the hole without cracking the windshield
You're installing a windshield wiper? I think that's the legal requirement in many states, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it.

I've drilled through this type of plexiglass before and usually just a sharp bit and being careful will do it.

I think putting some painter's tape on both sides and spraying WD-40 on the bit helps with some of the burring. Or you can use a stepper drill bit.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
If it's tempered glass, you can probably buy a diamond bit at HD that'll do the job but a safer bet would be to mark where you want the hole cut and take to a glass shop.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

My factory windshield with wiper came with a crack.
When the dealer came by to replace it, they used a step drill bit.
I have read that when drilling a poly-carbonate sheet a step bit is best.
The tech drilling the windshield was able to drill it out and install the wiper in about 10 minutes.
ZayneIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayneIcon View Post
My factory windshield with wiper came with a crack.
When the dealer came by to replace it, they used a step drill bit.
I have read that when drilling a poly-carbonate sheet a step bit is best.
The tech drilling the windshield was able to drill it out and install the wiper in about 10 minutes.
Is it a powered wiper or hand operated?
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

Hand operated.
I would be interested in powered as my cart is a daily driver and I use it in South Fl.
Also of note, the new windshield also started cracking after the dealer drilled the hole and replaced the manual wiper.
I only drive on streets, some potholes but ...
Old 12-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #7
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

AdamP
Here is a no drill option- pricey but an option
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18518933608...c4eff0d452c209

I am even look at it because I am not interested in another windshield. But the electric is intriguing
Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #8
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

I would use rain x or something like it. The wiper is required for street legal use because of some automotive laws but I would gather that it would cause more problems than fix if someone attempted to drive and use the wiper at the same time.

Additionally, because of the seam in the middle of the windshield the wiper the blade will not have proper contact through 3/4 of it's journey and do a flat out horrible job of actually wiping the windshield.

Would not bother with electric nor a non drill option. Use what you can to pass street legal and use rain x.

Also, if you have a dealer that picks up your cart, or ever want to fold down the windshield, make sure you have a cloth or something to put in between the wiper and the bottom windshield as it will get scratched heavily from all the shaking from either riding or being on the back of a trailer (saying this from experience)
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
AdamP
Getting Wild

Thank you for all your answers I've been doing some internet searches and the step drill bit and some tape seems to be the best route.
Florida does require a wiper either manual or electric if i can avoid drilling a hole in the windshield i will i don't want the windshield to crack while driving around.
Looking into making some soft a bracket i can attach onto the windshield frame
AdamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon