lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default mud, white smoke, & power down

Last night I drove my 06 TXT through some mud in a pasture. The cart is stock other than a lift to accommodate ATV style tires. I got to spinning tires and slinging mud while trying to get out of the mess. I took my foot off the gas to survey the situation. When I started to accelerate again a cloud of white smoke poured out the tailpipe and power was down. Since that happened it takes a while to build RPM's and power is way below normal. If I rev it in neutral it is better but does have a lag and not a normal crisp acceleration.. The white smoke stopped after the first time it happened. I know oil qty comes up in white smoke threads. It is running the same oil that's been in it for a few months without issue.

Last time something like this happened was about 18 months ago and it was $$$ piston rings and a valve job done at a shop. Maybe I'm working this cart too hard and am trying to turn a golf cart into a UTV. When I see what others here do with carts I wouldn't think so.

Anyone have a guess at where I should start. I was losing daylight but I did check for obstructions in the belt, rolling resistance and pulled a plug and everything looks good.

Last edited by SGF; 03-10-2013 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: added comment
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Vavoomskill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: mud, white smoke, & power down

Carb ate some junk ,,, Over heated and did damage,,, Start with a compression test. Make sure the valves are lashed correct.
Vavoomskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: mud, white smoke, & power down

I rode it around some to warm it up then pulled the plugs again. Now I see one of them is oil fouled. I think I have another ring issue. This happened exactly two years to the day after the last rebuild! Pretty disappointing in such a short time.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check the oil level first then put new plugs in it,
You may have slung a lot of oil up when
spinning in the mud. Check that it isn't packed with mud and can cool.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
rkuchmak
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like it may have valve problems.Had the same thing happen to my lawn tractor.
rkuchmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
RedRooster
Not Yet Wild

My 03 did the same thing twice...bumpy trail, white smoke, no power. Then was fine after it cleared. Like DOOmsman said check the oil. My cart being lifted changed the dipstick level and I over measured. The bouncing overflowed some oil into the airbox which then got sucked into the carb. Drained it and more carefully measured the amount of oil, but this time I warmed the cart, jacked up the rear end to level the engine and got ALL the oil out this time before putting oil in. No problems since. Hope this helps

RR
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO