lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Neakin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo terminal smoking...

I have a 94 txt I've had for about a year, put in new batteries. Just recently has started to smoke at a terminal at the place where F/R is, looks like a wire coming from the motor, maybe S1 or S2 according to schematic, only smokes under loaded conditions. I was thinking about upgrading wires and solenoid and F/R, will this help?
Neakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
skipi123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo terminal smoking...

Sounds like you a old set of wires. Corosion inside the cable or on the conector can be burning or old wire may. A cheap fix can be to replace the wire. A better fix is to replace all wires.
skipi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you got a series cart and being a 94, it probably has 6Ga cables.

Here is a generic schematic of the high current path in a series cart.
As you see, the same current passes through just about everything and all cables and components must have sufficient capacity to handle the current.

All high current cables have to be upgraded since the total current passes through all of them. I think there is 13 Total.
If the non-moving F/R contacts aren't messed up too badly, you might get away with just installing a HD cam. See bottom of this webpage:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html

Have fun and be safe.......

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Neakin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! I just didn't want to buy anything I didn't need.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Unfortunately waiting until you see smoke can cost more than preventative measures sometimes.

Smoke coming from the F&R terminal almost surely means the stud got hot enough to melt the plastic housing that holds the stud. When this happens the weight of the cable pulls the hot stud down and this changes the level of the contact on the other side which is where the rotary cam contacts it... When this happens you need a new switch.
If you catch it before this happens you can just beef up the cables and the switch cam and prevent this problem.
Do a little investigating and see what the switch contacts look like.
These pictures here show a F&R that got too hot, the burnt contacts will now offer additional resistance witch results in more heat. It's a viscous circle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4816.jpg (193.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3984web.jpg (60.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3988web.jpg (38.3 KB, 14 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Neakin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok Scotty, so I need to order a new set of cables, a switch cam, and F/R switch. I'm toying with the thought of a future upgrade to 48V. Suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neakin View Post
Ok Scotty, so I need to order a new set of cables, a switch cam, and F/R switch. I'm toying with the thought of a future upgrade to 48V. Suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff
My HD F&R (includes my HD super cool switch cam) & silver soldered cables sets can be used on 36v now and 48v
You can Neak up on the 48v upgrade
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO