lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
nat
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid ON and Off

I have a:

2011 Yamaha YDRE electric golf cart, 48V system

My golf cart is intermittently running, mainly not running...I have been concentrating my effort on the TPS but today, got my hand on the wiring diagram...starting measuring voltage on the solenoid and I'm confuse..hopefully someone can help...

When I turn the ignition to the "ON" position, I hear one click (solenoid energizing) and then about 5 seconds later, I hear another click (solenoid opening up)

I measured the two control signals on the solenoid and they both read 50V (solenoid open)

Isn't with the ignition ON, the red will be 50V and black (going to controller) will be 0V...

Here's the interesting thing, if I rock the golf cart, the solenoid will engernized and after maybe 5 sec, it will open up again...

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Solenoid ON and Off

Everything you've described sounds normal with the exception of the intermittent not running. When it doesn't run, does the solenoid click?

Both solenoid posts will read 50v with the solenoid open (because the controller has not grounded it). When the solenoid is energized, should read 50v red and 0v black. A better test of the solenoid itself would be to disconnect the wires and test for ohms. But I think it's good since you hear the click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid ON and Off

First of all, that’s normal for the solenoid to energize and then release when you turn on the key or flip the tow switch.

Second, rocking the cart activates the speed sensor in the motor, engaging the roll away brake. The solenoid should click for that too.

Is your battery voltage good? The controller will power off under low voltage and the cart won’t run.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok... trentofdestiny types faster than me[emoji52]

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Ok... trentofdestiny types faster than me[emoji52]

Haha although you had your post up before I finished my edit and doubled the length of my post (:

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
nat
Not Yet Wild

The batteries are relatively new, I can charge up to 52V and it will stabilize to 50V

I get it to run intermittently by rocking the cart...tomorrow, I'll try to rock the cart to get the solenoid to energized first then press down the acceleration pedal...I have a feeling this will get it to run most of the time...

when its not running, I press down the pedal...I hear the solenoid click on and then releases seconds later...

One question, if the solenoid release after turning on, what powers the controller?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
nat
Not Yet Wild

BTW, I know the solenoid is closing and opening after turning on...the post going to the controller would read 47V ( takes time to measure the voltage) and start decreasing since the solenoid is open
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
The batteries are relatively new, I can charge up to 52V and it will stabilize to 50V

I get it to run intermittently by rocking the cart...tomorrow, I'll try to rock the cart to get the solenoid to energized first then press down the acceleration pedal...I have a feeling this will get it to run most of the time...

when its not running, I press down the pedal...I hear the solenoid click on and then releases seconds later...

One question, if the solenoid release after turning on, what powers the controller?

The controller is powered over the small wire(s). The solenoid controls the heavy current flow to the high current side of the controller. The controller is sensing something wrong and is shutting off the solenoid. You could have a wiring issue, throttle sensor issue, motor issue, etc.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I think you have a motor brush problem. The "if I push it, it will run" is the giveaway to me. The controller doesn't know exactly where the motor is, but it knows if it's turning and what speed. A bad set of brushes can often be coaxed into working if you shift them around a little, like push it a few inches. Often the motor is damaged by the brush failure, the contact points on the armature will get a nasty welded and fried look that has fried too much material to cut and repair.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
nat
Not Yet Wild

thanks everyone, it makes sense now...please advice if what I'm planning to do next is correct and wont blow up anything...

1) will probe the orange wire from the TPS to see if its changing voltage once the pedal is pressed down...not sure how to tap to that wire tho but will figure it out somehow...

2) disconnect the motor from the controller. apply power across the motor A1 and A2 terminals to see if the motor will run...if it runs, does it mean I dont have a motor bush problem ?

should I discount the F1/F2 connections also

thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha