lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Default 6volt batteries read different

Have trouble with my water boiling out, charged it last night and tested voltage on batteries, 4 of them read 6.5 volts, 1 read 4.5 and 1 read 5.4. Will the different readings cause my problem of water boiling out and what should a fully charged 6volt battery read. New at this golf cart stuff so need an answer ASAP, thanks
jlscjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 6volt batteries read different

Welcome to BGW
The charger is looking for a specific number in terms of pack voltage to cut off. You have 2 bad batteries which are not coming up. What happens is the good batteries get over charged when the bad batteries cannot reach the required voltage.
Here is a state of charge chart which will give you the information you need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC new.jpg (85.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome to BGW
The charger is looking for a specific number in terms of pack voltage to cut off. You have 2 bad batteries which are not coming up. What happens is the good batteries get over charged when the bad batteries cannot reach the required voltage.
Here is a state of charge chart which will give you the information you need.
Is it wise to replace the 2 bad with new, I was told they are around 3-4 yrs old
jlscjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Wakeboardfusion
Not Yet Wild

Are those two batteries hooked up to 12v accessories? Have you tried charging each of those two separately? They are probably shot, but it is worth a shot, may last you some more time. When I got my cart it had 4 12v batteries with accessories hoked up to one. I have made sure to keep that one in balance, but plan to install a converter or extra battery for accessories in the near future. Here is a link to a youtube I created about keeping that one battery balanced with the others in the pack. Should be the same concept on yours, but you just need to do it twice with the two lower batts. Like I said, they may already be damaged depending on how long they have been like this, but it does not hurt to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpuF3YjFp6M
Wakeboardfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlscjs View Post
Is it wise to replace the 2 bad with new, I was told they are around 3-4 yrs old
It is wise to find 2 good used batteries of the same voltage and capacity to replace the bad ones. It is not wise to add 2 new batteries to a 3 yr old pack as the new batteries will quickly degrade to the level of the old ones.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
adog35
Getting Wild

Are you able to mix 6V and 12v Battey in series for testing?
36v to 48v performance test.
adog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe, but... If you throw an extra 12v inline with a solenoid and controller that isn't rated for that you'll probably fry them.

If they are rated and you put a 12v marine battery in line it will not be able to deliver the amps like the 6v batteries will. So it will suffer a much heavier load relative to it's capabilities. If you don't run it much and make sure it doesn't drop too low then a couple test hits would probably not damage the battery.

I don't know if the 12v will have more voltage sag for a few test hits. I would guess it would but I'm not sure. But it will certainly die a quick death if you leave it in the batt pack with the normal 6v golf cart batteries for normal use.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
adog35
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Maybe, but... If you throw an extra 12v inline with a solenoid and controller that isn't rated for that you'll probably fry them.

If they are rated and you put a 12v marine battery in line it will not be able to deliver the amps like the 6v batteries will. So it will suffer a much heavier load relative to it's capabilities. If you don't run it much and make sure it doesn't drop too low then a couple test hits would probably not damage the battery.

I don't know if the 12v will have more voltage sag for a few test hits. I would guess it would but I'm not sure. But it will certainly die a quick death if you leave it in the batt pack with the normal 6v golf cart batteries for normal use.

Yes, controller and solenoid are rated for 48v. I am just going to use it
for a short test to see the performance difference. Likely keep a multi-meter on
the system to monitor.

I am considering going 48V, want to see what kind of performance I should
expect before buying 2 more batteries, cables, and a charger.
adog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It is amazing how good advice is ignored.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
It is amazing how good advice is ignored.
Wait What That's never happened
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO