lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Kschilling
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default My yamaha G9 will only chug along

Hi I have a 1991 Yamaha G9 gas golf cart, however it currently does not run. We have had it for three years now with no problems. This year it ran fine for the first month, but then it stopped. Currently you can step on the gas pedal and it will only chug or put along VERY slowly in forward or reverse. I also noticed the smell of gas almost as if it's flooding, but there are no obvious leaks found. We have changed the spark plug, checked to make sure it is getting gas by disconnecting the fuel line and stepping on the Gas pedal, changed the ignition coil and completely disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it. All of this has not resolved the problem. Curious if anybody else has any ideas on what the problem could be.
Kschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: My yamaha G9 will only chug along

Maybe an air leak, airbox, spacer between carb and intake, etc... Yamaha's are very picky about airbox being sealed, etc... If you've removed anything from the airbox, put it back and seal the top. If the tabs have broken off the top, use a tie down strap or something. Bad fuel/vacumm line (check the one going toward the back of the engine). Throttle cable adjustment, governor cable, governor... (make sure the throttle is completely opening and closing when you press the peddle). With the key out of the ignition and cart off, just press the pedal and watch the throttle on the carb to see if it is opening and closing all the way. You could try bypassing the governor and hook the pedal cable directly to the carb and adjust it. Could be something with the governor area/cable/spring.

Sounds more like the throttle isn't opening all the way.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Kschilling
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My husband has checked the throttle with the cart on and off and it opens completly both ways. He has zip ties on the air box so we don't think there, but we will double check.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

3 things needed to run, compression (should be 160 to 175 at wide open throttle), fuel and spark. Since you have fuel, get a "dynamic spark tester and check for spark, if you have spark and fuel..check compression, maybe a pushrod came loose and the valve or valves need to be adjusted. When it stopped, did you hear a "pop" noise?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Kschilling
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

We had the compression tested and was told it was fine. And no there wasn't any noise. The cart was running fine and then started to run a little funny. It would smell as if it was flooding and then die. We would let it sit a couple of minutes and then it would run just fine. Then the next time it would only putt along but barely. We do get spark, my husband checked that and I did actually see the spark. We have not done it with the spark tester however.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If it barely moves it might only be the starter not the engine. It sounds like an ignition problem if it ran then quit when it got hot, however if you have spark then you have spark. The problem is did it foul the plug when the spark quit (if ignition did go out when hot)?

You should also check the wiring, in particular the ground wires on the coil and engine, any connections/connectors.

I would get a spark tester they were $5 at autozone last time I looked. Verify spark, take the fuel line off the carb and put in a bottle/etc and turn it over it should squirt fuel out, put back on and put a new spark plug in, try to start it. Would be a good idea to clean the carb as well only need a can of carb clean with the hose and take the carb off and bowl off bottom, squirt in all the passages the main jet in middle of bowl, the air jets in air intake side. Don't over tighten the bolts and crack the spacer putting it back on in fact inspect that spacer for cracks.

Use an NGK 2 plug for the newer yamaha like a G14. If it starts after that and quits hot then you know it is likely an ignition problem. Coil can do that, the ignitor is expensive try to swap with another to test. Pickup on the crank usually don't go bad.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

You may not be getting enough fuel. The G9's have a fuel filter inside the cap on the bottom of the fuel tank. Remove and replace that, or just remove it and put one in-line before the carb......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha