lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G-9 Mikuni Carb Relocation help!!!

Has anybody replaced the stock clone carb with a Mikuni carb on a Yamaha G-9? I have a few laying around and the choke flap broke on the stock clone carb. I thought a switch would be perfect. I made the conversion on my EZ-GO and was easy just mounted the carb in the unused side of the battery box and connected with a radiator hose works great!!!! I am having trouble with my " engineering" for the G-9!! I tried mounting it making a bracket on top of the motor and connecting the intake with a raditor hose with the steel in side. Too tight a bend with all the room from the intake to the shock on a G-9. I am in the process of bending some tubing with a real sharp bend and that has its own set of problems. I would appreciate greatly if anyone has done this that would post a few pics.
I think what I am trying to say here as a backyard machanic / fabricator fair, as an engineer I suck!!!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey I have a little humor for you guys and maybe something to aviod, I cant be the only guy this has happened too ( I hope ) Anyway I was driving the EZ-GO clone conversion around with a towel on the seat. Well it slipped off the seat into the motor. My cart came to a very fast screetching halt with a sound that can only be duplicated by throwing a rod on the stock EZ-GO engine. ( dont ask how I know that ) Well to finish the story and about an hour later I unwound the throttle cable and intertwined towel wrapped around the primary about 8 times!!! My guess is the towel caught first grabbed the throttle cable and turned a few times before all the fun began. Well just a temporary slow down runs and works fine with the new throttle set up minus the towel. So I guess the moral of the story is keep sh&% off the seat!!!!!
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G-9 Mikuni Carb Relocation help!!!

Prob gonna need some pics of your setup to get a good idea of what you're trying to do.

And.....don't drive with towels near the engine.....LOL Funny story, very familiar....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have the same issue. I plan to make a 180 bend and lay it back over the block then angle turn it towards the front of the cart. In the end the carb would be about where the elec starter is on the clone facing forward. But all that could change when I actually get the parts all together and put it on, but new carb will be over the block someplace. I have designed a thin intake I have to machine yet to go on the head, then hose couple to a metal 180 tube....is how I plan to do it. Now I have an ezgo spec 94c and the taper is deeper in the clutch, this should move the engine over a little more, give a little more room there at carb.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

We are on the same page location wise. How are you getting a tube with a 180 bend? I have made some mods to an old briggs exhaust pipe and its close but I would like to do better. I have a pipe bender but it keeps crushing the tubing and I can get no where near a 180 bend. What size and kind of tubing are you using? It looks like I will mount it over the starter or on top of the motor. Its a smaller Mikuni 30MM I think and doesnt hit the seat. Trying to figure a way to anchor the carb too. Thanks as always SHO!! And the rest of you more knowledgeable fellas!!!
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
aquadreamin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

mounted mine using a piece of 90 degree radiator hose and an adapter that screws onto the engine intake. I had to coil a piece of wire and insert it into the radiator hose because the hose would collapse due to the intake pressure. That fixed it. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032.JPG (70.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 031.JPG (59.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 038.JPG (117.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 014 (2).JPG (126.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 011 (2).JPG (131.9 KB, 0 views)
aquadreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
aquadreamin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

As you can see the adapter piece was key. It also has a barb fitting for the pulse line that powers the fuel pump. I think I purchased it at nrracing.com They had a lot of adapter kits that were intended for go cart racing. I purchased several items from them for my clone install
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Very nice! I'm actually using the same setup, and when I swap to my new carb will do the same.

One thing....are you supporting the weight of the carb somehow?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm making an intake like that it should be about 1" thick total with a hose barb type connection. I plan to just couple metal tube bends right to it with short hose coupler. Of course I been working OT instead of making my intake, and some car repairs too. I plan to make a bracket that mounts to the clone gas tank mounts, and holds the carb. I found some 1.15 ID 90 bends but not sure they will work, have to buy them and try it. Worry that will be too large of diameter I wanted 1.120 but who knows. If the intake is longer it would help power and torque but it can also hurt as the mixture can go bad by the time it gets to the cylinder, in particular at lower rpm ranges.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
aquadreamin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I currently do no have a support bracket. I have looked at fabricating an A-frame type piece that would come up off the rear axle mounting plate below. That would enable it to move with the engine/suspension componets.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
bansheemxer
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Cool set-up! What jetting are you using?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk
bansheemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps