lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default VC460 or Hf V-twin?

I will be buying one of these in the near future and since the price point is so close I figured I would ask. First, Cart is a 2000 Club Car DS. I have purchased (not installed yet) 8:1 gears for the anticipated engine swap. Intended use is neighborhood and deer lease. City regulates the speed at 25 mph but I would like a 30mphish top speed. The deer lease has plenty of hills and dirt roads to travel on. I would like it to be as quiet as possible and do not intend to rev it very much at all. I will be running the 780 clutch and matching 1 3/16 belt. Torque is definitely king in my world. Given these requirements what would you choose and why? Thanks
BigMac! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: VC460 or Hf V-twin?

Forgot to mention the list and 23 inch tires which determine spend and torque.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
AaronW
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Its a coin toss.

The only reason why I say that is because the year of the cart.

You are going to have a TON of torque either way you go

460 is application specific. Designed for golf cart
HF twin is affordable and a great return policy
AaronW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 460 has way more power than stock and great all around engine, it will rev for big top speeds. You can't go wrong for what you get in the engine, it has the HD parts and ready to rock. It has a beefier block than other clones also, includes the arc rod. This engine has no charging if you want to get rid of the stock gen you need to fit the pulley and install an alternator.

The HF v twin is impressive for the price, lots of torque. It has pressure oiling and a cooler, filter, 2 bbl carb. What it does not have is full 20A charging it has 9A iirc. Though that may be enough, the clones have 3A and that is not enough. Typical lawn mowers have 18-20A charge and that powers most things no problem. The only clone with that is the lifan from home depot the 420 if you get that model has 18A the other models have none or elec start has 3A. Anyway the twin is powerful but it does not rev much, since there seem to be no mods for it yet you have to figure running it at 4K or less. The 460 will scream past 5K easily in comparison. So the twin will have less top speed, but if you go gears and big tires you should not need much rpm to get 30mph the twin should work fine and will have more torque (though the 460 is no slouch either the twin is a larger cc engine and has more grunt down low). Twins tend to sound cooler if you care about that. The 460 would have more top end for sure, more speed, it comes with a performance cam and other parts so it will walk a stock 420 easily and same to a HF twin...but for low end torque that is not going to matter that much the twin will have piles of torque.

With either one you will have to work on an exhaust. To get it quiet its likely you will need to fit a car muffler or similar size, just make sure its good for that much HP or more.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Sho305,

That was the detailed info I was looking for. Yes, it is a close comparison between the two and based on MY needs I am choosing the HF twin.

The things that sealed the deal for me was the pressured oil and cooling system, 9 amp charging system means I can get rid of the factory starter/generator, Has an electric starter installed, and plenty of torque. This motor allows me to switch to keyed start. And get rid of the factory starter/generator. I am only running lights and will have an on board charger for topping off my battery when not in use.

Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Let us know how it works out! There are a couple of threads on them here, when someone makes a rev kit for them more will use them.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
backwoodboys11
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

big mac i put one of the hf v twins on a mule and love it. it will run around 28 mph but it has gobs of torque and thw is what i wanted anyway. i put the comet 780 on it and it pulls like it is unstoppable.i work mine to death and ive had no problems.
backwoodboys11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
Fjpj68
Not Yet Wild

Will you be running reverse as forward with the twin v. I have a 2002 carry all and have an 18 hp Kohler twin that I'm going to put in it. Just debating adding a jack shaft to run the gears correctly or just slapping it in straight up and running the reversed gears as is. Worried it will be too slow. It's just to use on my 20 acre place for getting around, working and training dogs.
Fjpj68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you put the 8:1 HS gears in, its not a problem to run reverse. If you don't you will see less speed. Some have gone to 25 even 26, 28 tires to raise gearing and not have to change trans gears, in comparison to running 22s like many do. Since with a CC they tend to fit the larger than 22 tires easier. You must find out what your lift will fit, but many yamaha for example if you get up to 24 you have to relocate the cradle and its a major job to reweld it and make brackets, etc., to move it and also remove or relocate the rear bumper depending on what model it is. Big tires cost more but you only buy them once and they look super cool, HS gears are at least 300 last I checked plus you have to pull the tranny and install them.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Chris15005
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post

With either one you will have to work on an exhaust. To get it quiet its likely you will need to fit a car muffler or similar size, just make sure its good for that much HP or more.

I have to disagree on the muffler issues as my campground is rather small and there is not a lot of loud noise my cart is clearly the loudest with the VC460 and the walker muffler. I have the walker muffler Vegas sells and after i installed it i took it to the CG and had the owners listen to it at idle and and almost full throttle as there is a large hill from the pool to the CG. They said it was fine and they are as conservative as they come about loud cars, bikes Etc my cart is no louder than their carryall with a dump bed.
Chris15005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps