lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Default 48 volt motor getting HOT!

For some reason I bought a 2010 Titan utv from a buddy. There was nothing wrong with my EZGO but it looked pretty and had cool stuff! It has been garage kept and rarely used. He just put in new T125 batteries as well.
Well the battery life is really bad due to the 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel drive, it's extremely heavy. The cart weighs about 1660#. Well the rear motor is getting extremely hot. Like if you put your hand on it you will lose skin. On downhill runs where I am at top speed it feels as if it is cutting out randomly then at one point it cut out completely then quit working for a moment. Almost like a car running out of gas. Controllers and wires are just slightly warm at this point. It doesn't really matter if I am running in 2 or 4 wheel drive. I have been testing it the last couple runs in 2 wheel drive to try and get max distance..
It has dual curtis controllers(900 amp, not sure if this is the total of the 2 or each), dual motors(36hp total) and 1g cables. It has 8 new T125 batteries that I just about have broke in. It is running 25" tires.
I have been running it around my hood breaking in the batteries at night usually running 6-10 miles straight at 70-100% throttle trying to run as many miles as fast as I can. Is it normal for motors to get extremely hot? I don't remember my EZGo getting that hot.
Any input would be appreciated.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Default Re: 48 volt motor getting HOT!

Any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it all stock or did someone add the 25" tires? Smaller tires would reduce amp draw and motor heat. Also a lot of slow crawling on trails will make a motor run very hot.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: 48 volt motor getting HOT!

Motor getting this hot isn't good. Also if it is cutting out there is something going on with the motor controller something.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

ok after some more digging the motor is an Advanced motor #DA8-4013
48vlt running on a curtis controller, I cant find any info on the controller. I can't find any info on google or their website about this motor. I am waiting for a call back from Advanced to see what they think. This motor has very little use and I don't think it has been run that hard. My only thought is that maybe it's a hish speed motor and doesn't have enough torque to muscle this heavy cart around. Like I said controllers and cables have little to no heat so it's got to be directly on the motor. The cart runs about 18-20mph on flat surfaces in 2wd.
any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Cables on the motor are good and tight. Sounds as if either the motor is as u say maybe a speed motor and not a torque motor. What is the motor on the front? Make sure they match. It want matter in the 2 wheel drive senerio but when in 4x4 it would.
Can u take a picture of it. All the ones I have found are high speed motors.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

TTT, any ideas on possible problems with the motor or do you think it is just wrong set up on motor or controller?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

The controller doesn't care what motor it runs. The motor will ask for amps when it needs them. The controller will only supply what it can. If the motor is what is hot then I say it's the motor. Heat is either loose connections this includes cable to connector to motor. Wrong motor for what u are asking it to do also if the motor has been in deep water such as creecks and such it will need to be torn apart and rebuilt.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
OneToFixIt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Our 2010 Bad Boy Buggy was factory made with a 48V DA8-4013 motor and 24" tires. However, it came with a SEVCON controller. We got this buggy for free since it has a bad controller and needs some cosmetic work.

So for a data point, the DA8-4013 motor is suitable for 24" tires. Albeit, the gearbox being used can make all the difference. I don't know the ratio of the gearbox BBB included off hand.
OneToFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
cricketo
Getting Wild

Measure the resistance of the windings, and compare the values to a known good motor.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!