lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electric Trucks

yeah, the Hombre was the S10 based truk. One of the two kompanies provided engine/driveline the other the body, so it was a kooperative effort if I remember korrektly(pardon the K's instead of "see's", my "see" button is broken) :)
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
Nate
Gone Wild

SP, sorry, I asked your input then I sounded like I was dismissing it. You are correct; there are kits for the S-10 that have been proven. For someone new this would be a very good way to start. Thank you for keeping me on topic with this discussion.

I will make a note this is my opinion; I thought about the small SUV types, the issue I see (and correct me if you have an idea) is the battery maintenance will be more difficult. I know how I act and if battery maintenance is too difficult it won't get done. That is all I can come up with as far as why I did not choose an S-10 Blazer. I can get lazy sometimes and pulling a lever and watching the whole bed tilt away seemed something I could handle.

Xtreme, thanks for the vote of confidence! The more I learn the more questions I have. With electric vehicles you loose range with performance, for example; I plan to build my truck for 30 mile range, I work 8 miles away so that translates into one fun 8 mile drive! The weight will not be as much as a 50 mile range but still have enough power to make the drive quite fun!

Groundpounder, those Chevy Luvs look pretty good! Finding one with a decent body might be a bit of a challenge as I don’t see them very much any more. I had a Luv as a teenager and I wanted to put this Cadillac engine in it but my dad thought a 472 cubic inch engine was too much. I still disagree!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

I didn't take it that way at all Nate. I understood where you were coming from. I hope my response didn't come off the wrong way as well (it appears it may have). :)

I think you are probably right about maintenance for the batteries, it will be a lot easier to lift a bed than to pull interior or lower a "box" or two from under a small suv. I guess I hadn't really thought about the maintenance that much. Although with a few hydraulic cylinders, or a few linear actuators, you may be able to set something up to make easy access to the batts in an suv. I have a feeling you could make something work one way or another.

How about going extreme, and taking the passenger side doors, welding them together with the B pillar, slicing that away from the suv, build a tray for the floor, that holds the seats and whatnot, and have it all slide out the side, giving access to the batteries in the floor underneath from the other side? LOL

I kid, I kid...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
Nate
Gone Wild

I wanted this thread to be for folks considering an EV, I had been thinking about this for some time and Xtreme got me thinking that others might be interested also. I forgot my manners; this is not for me it is for everyone. SP's post made me realize how I was sounding and I respect SP for pointing that out.
Hey where was SP Electronics when I lived in Arizona just north of Tucson about 80 miles? I can always use a friend in the electronics business.

I have seen people put batteries under a vehicle and things were great right at first but then they got tired of spending half a day dropping and cleaning batteries once a month and soon they had battery troubles. Then they were not happy with their EV because it was getting to be more expensive than driving a 1975 Chevy Suburban with a HO 454 and 4.11 gears. If we come up with a way to take care of maintenance easily in the SUVs then that problem would be eliminated.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Nate, how about one of those Geo Tracker. It looks kinda like a small Jeep. I haven't checked specs but I would guess that it is a light weight vehicle. And they come in soft top versions so you can look cool going to work.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
Nate
Gone Wild

I had thought about the Geo tracker and Suzuki Samurai then I noticed the parts on my Caroche Club Car were beefier...

I think those trucks would be a fun vehicle especially with the 4-wheel drive. Set the transfer case in low range, shift into first gear and watch the torque from the electric motor get multiplied even more. You would loose traction before you lost power. I don't see this being a long-range commuter or high-speed vehicle but it would be a fun vehicle. The lower gears would help improve of road range. That is my opinion on this type of vehicle for EV use.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #17
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

I would think one of the biggest limiting factors with one of those would be space for enough batteries to make it really go go go. Although I guess if Nate can stuff 168 volts into a club car, he should be able to make room in the geo (although it's probably a little smaller than a cart). ;)
Old 08-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #18
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

This all sounds fine, my trouble is that I need to get 100 miles out of a EV. Very few of what I have seen can achive this. I also can't use an ultra-light vehicle as none have the room in the cab that I need. My Sonoma gives me very little extra room at the knees or head room.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
Nate
Gone Wild

SP Electronics, I think you are correct, that is why I don't see Geo or Suzuki being a high speed or long range choice of vehicle. You could probably get six to eight batteries in one.

Fishing Dude, you are right, 100 miles is quite a stretch for an "affordable" EV right now. You would probably have to go with Lithium and cost is the biggest draw back. It is still more cost effective for you to use gasoline and not convert the Sonoma for a 100 mile range.

I am just curious; who thought my 30 mile range I talked about in the other post was kind of short?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

I think 30 mile range is reasonable myself. My goal would be a similar one. My wife only works about 6-7 miles away from our house, and I work from home with most of my trips being less than a few miles, and a rare 7 mile trip to visit friends/family. Having something that would be usable for that range AND be FUN would be ideal. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I too am curious what people think of that range. I'm sure everyone fantasizes about the 2 or 3 hundred mile range at 80+ miles per hour.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!