lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Need to get a first generation Fairplay running with a different setup

We got a customer who blew up the Kinetek controller on their 2007 Fairplay cart. We cannot get the same controller (it's unobtainium) nor can FSIP or anyone else rebuild them.

We tried a conversion kit to Sepex but it failed multiple times. We verified all the wires are where they're supposed to go with a FSIP field rep over the phone, and the fault we kept getting was 'POT LOW FAULT' and it wouldn't go (would click, handheld shows fault, then it clicks off and stays that way until you cycle TOW/RUN).

We at first figured the pedal group was faulty (someone had taken it apart and toyed around in there) so we ordered a replacement from a third party website that has the same specs. Wired it in, same problem. POT LOW FAULT. cart won't even bloody attempt to run, and FSIP refuses to tell me how to bypass the condition and make it run anyway (We got a OEM level handheld so it's possible but I have no idea how and they won't tell me claiming safety and all that jazz)

So after three months, customer is growing impatient, and now they just 'want it to run' and sell it. So my idea is to make it some kind of series cart with a Taylor Dunn 48V control or an older Alltrax we got a few of lying around. Finding out how to make 0-5K isn't difficult (the pot box in the new pedal is definitely good, no matter what the stupid conversion kit says). It's the fact that the car has a shunt wound motor and not a series motor. First of all can a shunt would motor work with a series control? (I'm aware regen probably won't work nor does the customer or I care) and if so, how do I reverse direction (it has a rocker switch on the dash not a F/N/R like a series car usually does--I've done this electronically via solenoids in the past but only with series motors, not shunt motors, so I suspect the wiring is different otherwise I engage regen by mistake which can EOL things)

That's the hangup I'm dealing with. It has to be done this week, and I am out of ideas. I can defnitely make it run in one direction only, it's switching direction and having a shunt would vs. a series wound (and no series would that fits the rear end of this stupid thing) and the different way they switch direction that's stopping me. I really wanted to just put everything back like it was and send it back, as the cost to repair outweighs the value of the golf car, but they're not having it.

Another idea is basically making it a Club Car Precedent/IQ car (with a club car IQ controller, wiring harness, etc) but we don't have a wiring harness to plug into the controller and that's a lot of pins to create a harness for. But that would no doubt work with a shunt wound motor.

I'd rather make it a basic resistor car but that involves more fabrication than I care to do to make the accelerator work, locating resistors, and so on. If possible it would be the cheapest way and more reliable (In my personal opnion, golf carts going solid state was a bad idea with more costs for very little gain, even more evident in the world of RXVs and everything going drive-by-wire and pair that with customers whom refuse to understand why them attempting to rig a radio to the key switch for power has destroyed a $1200 controller.)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2021, 12:15 AM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Need to get a first generation Fairplay running with a different setup

Never mind, I finally managed to find out what caused the 'POT LOW FAULT' error on the conversion kit. Apparently the instruction manual it comes with neglected to tell me to cut and reverse the black and white wires in the four-pin accelerator plug. It does say to find a red wire and add it to the adapter harness it comes with, but doesn't say to reverse black and white, where white goes to black and black goes to white. It had the controller assuming the throttle was 100% the entire time instead of 0%.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 12:49 PM   #3
Honhon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need to get a first generation Fairplay running with a different setup

So I’m doing the same thing and can’t figure it out..how did you get it working? I keep getting a 2-4 code but I know the solenoid is good..
Honhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay