lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: 36V motor on 72V??

BLWN BUX, if you go 72V which battery are you thinking of using or is that one of your questions?

Some 36V motors can handle 72V while others can't. The older 36V motors from Baldor and GE seem to do fine up to 96V while a newer Club Car motors like the "tin can" D-310 can't. I can only comment on motors I have tested personally so I don't know about EZ-GO or Yamaha.

There is a huge price jump from 72V to 96V which is why most people go 72V. 72V is four (4) times the power of 36V but keep in mind it is also 4 times the losses. Getting more than 3X power is not bad though!

10,000 RPM on a motor is possible I have heard but I don't know how long the motor can run at that RPM. Some GE places are TIG welding the comms on the armature. The highest RPM I have sustained was 7300 for 4 miles, at 55 MPH it took just over 4 minutes.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

roady,

I have some sheets that shows tests on GE motors vs. other brands, I could fax that to you if you like, but I don't think it shows the info you want.. ... I still need to get in touch with the real brains involved with those motors. I haven't had time to talk to them yet. I haven't forgot about it yet though..
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

OK guys, maybe a silly question, but do ALL GE motors say GE on them, or does GE do branding for others?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

I'm pretty sure all the new ones say G.E. they might be branded out, but you can find G.E. on them..

However, take that as a guess, I haven't seen everything they have out there.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
roady89
nimda
Club Car

No need to fax. I probly have as much info as you. I just find it hard to believe that someone would tell you that that a G.E. "golf cart" motor will sustain those kinds of rpm's and hold. No doubt those motors will reach those rpms but how long before it grenades is another question.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #16
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

I may have misunderstood, I'm certain you know far more than me about motors at those RPMs.

Like I said when I get around to it, I'll call the right person to ask that question.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #17
BLWN BUX
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
BLWN BUX, if you go 72V which battery are you thinking of using or is that one of your questions?
I was wondering since this is going to cost a few bucks, If I had the option of diong a 72 in steps. IE: Change to 6 X 12 and a new controler and use the stock motor at first. i would imagin that I would be trashing the old motor anyway. Why not burn it down first

What Batteries? Boy, I am a Noob, I see that many seams to prefer Trojins. I also see that there are different AHrs which appears to be "endurance at output"?? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Some 36V motors can handle 72V while others can't. The older 36V motors from Baldor and GE seem to do fine up to 96V while a newer Club Car motors like the "tin can" D-310 can't. I can only comment on motors I have tested personally so I don't know about EZ-GO or Yamaha.
My motor tag reads "SLOW" I mean Club Car and some serial# info that I will need to note.
Sorry but I wouldn't know what motor I have.

There is a huge price jump from 72V to 96V which is why most people go 72V. 72V is four (4) times the power of 36V but keep in mind it is also 4 times the losses. Getting more than 3X power is not bad though!
In theory, would the same motor make 2X the torque @ 72 V at the same current. Also would it spin 2X speed due to double voltage?

10,000 RPM on a motor is possible I have heard but I don't know how long the motor can run at that RPM. Some GE places are TIG welding the comms on the armature. The highest RPM I have sustained was 7300 for 4 miles, at 55 MPH it took just over 4 minutes.
My cart is lifted 5" with 22's I live in a very hilly neighborhood. I was wondering if somthing like a "Beast" on 72V with 8:1 would be much better than a "high speed" on 48V at 12:1

Thanks for all the input.

BLWN BUX
BLWN BUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
Nate
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
OK guys, maybe a silly question, but do ALL GE motors say GE on them, or does GE do branding for others?
GE brands for others like Club Car factory motors, they make some cheap motors in China and don't put their name on them. If the motor carries the name GE on the case chances are good it is a well built motor.

Note: All Club Car motors are not GE.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
Nate
Gone Wild

BLWN BUX, 2X the voltage at same current is 2X the torque but speed will be around 1.5X. These are approximations to give you an idea.

A Beast on 72V with 8:1 gears calculates to be a much better choice than a speed motor on 48V. I have not tested this exact set up so I can't verify what the Beast will actually do. According to the advertised characteristics of a Beat motor it should work. Can we believe what is advertised?

You can get 72V in different configurations but there are trade offs. Go with nine 8V batteries and get excellent run times but your battery pack will weigh around 620 lbs. Go with six group 24 (12V) batteries and your pack weigh is reduced to 300 lbs but your run time and battery life is also reduced along with higher maintenance. Get Group 24 sealed batteries and shell out a lot of cash for a two year pack, maybe more time but use 2 years for calculating purposes.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #20
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Roady,

Called my guys today..

G.E. refuses to issue a rating or benchmark at 10,000 rpm, because they would be condoning over the 25mph federal regulations.

Heres a little info

D&D or advanced motors have a scatter point at 5000, and he says hes witnessed them scatter every time at 6200... (more than enough for normal golf cars)

G.E. motors have a scatter point at 12000 rpm.(making 10,000 theoretically holdable) Then he proceeded to tell me there is more going on than just that scatter point though.. He suggested to hold that RPM the motor would have to be spin balanced by a machinist.

He mentioned he has a motor that was balanced and it will hold the rpm until the battery pack dies. (which evidently wasn't too far at those rpms)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!