lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #21
jssneptune
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: High voltage contactor

buckmanmike,
after rereading the posts I wanted to make sure you have a 72v controller or following some boost procedure (roady89 boost). you cannot run 72v with a 48v controller. too be clearer I have a 48v to 72v curtiss controller and can run anywhere in between.
stuck solenoid with resistor cart = bad news
jeff
jssneptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #22
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I recieved my controller today and they sent me the wrong one. I ordered a 48-72v unit and I got a 36-48v unit. Needless to say I'm PO'd. I was planning on working on cart this weekend at deer camp and have it ready to go to 72 volts next time I got down here.
I don't want to mention the name of company I bought controller from yet. They were real nice and helpful when I ordered my controller but that was almost 5 weeks ago and then they send me the wrong one. I sent them a email to correct order(after talking to them on phone) and have heard no response. I stated in a previous post that I ordered a 400a controller, but actually it was supposed to 700a.
Does anyone have an opinion on the controller I ordered. It was a GE brand, I believe to be marketed as a Star controller. I never opened box but packaging indicated this brand.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #23
Nate
Gone Wild

Star is made by GE. It should be fine, I have not played with one personally but it should not be any worse than Curtis or Alltrax.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Thanks for replies.
But I am really getting PO'd about my controller. To me several hundred dollars is a lot to upset about. Glad it was on credit card so I can protect myself.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #25
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Buckman...I'm not sure what that relay part is you described but I don't think it can be used. Let me break the part numbers down on the czonkas and make a sticky for them.

Also...I haven't seen a reasonably priced 700 amp 72 volt controllers. The only 700 amp controllers I have seen are 48 volts.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #26
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Yes Roady the controller I received was a 700a 36 - 48 v. I am not sure now of what the amp rating was of the 48-72 v controller that I ordered. The way I understand it though, You don't need as much amps at higher voltage?? I am thinking my 48-72 controller was to be 400a(supposeably).
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Correct...you will pull less amps on higher voltage. Also more efficient at higher voltage...up to a point.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:30 AM   #28
Nate
Gone Wild

A 48V 700A controller is a few more watts than a 72V 450A controller. I would still put my money on the 72V controller because as soon as the CEMF comes up the 48V cannot push 700A; the resistance is too high for that voltage. Ohms Law.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
jssneptune
Not Yet Wild

thats to bad about the controller. I hate waiting for stuff. My controller is 400amps and it seems as if good batteries are the limiting factor
let us know when your controller comes
jeff
jssneptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #30
Nate
Gone Wild

Golf cart 6V batteries are being pushed at 700 amps and can be damaged if this is exceeded. 8V batteries have a lower amp rating before damage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!