lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #1
TheQMiami
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium Batteries Help (Allied)

Greeetings everyone,

So I'm pretty new here from the Miami area, and definitely new to the Lithium battery arena. My brother who completely rebuilt his club car helped me find something, and while it's not a recommended brand, I got a heck of a deal. However, that comes with possible issues, like the one below. (It's a Tomberlin with aluminum frame and the majority of parts converted to Club Car).

So I'm not sure how to properly test Lithium batteries, maybe you guys can help me out here. I have a 48V system with 80Ah Allied Lithium batteries (Blue tops). Not sure how old they are.

I was able to travel anywhere from 15-20 miles on a single full overnight charge. I cannot seem to tell when it runs down as the dash and another directly connected voltage meter is always showing FULL charge. I purposefully let it run down so I can get the miles as I listed above. Cart does around 27-28 mph (governor limited it seems).

Questions:

1. How do I properly test these batteries to see if they may need replacing now or soon?

2. Does a regular voltage meter work on these, as obviously mine is not (I already tried a new one). It's currently connected to the first battery positive and last battery negative as in a Lead battery system. Is there a specific voltage meter for Lithium or Allied Lithium (I noticed they sell a $99 one on their site)? Perhaps it's setup wrong?

3. Mine is setup in a series Circuit rather than Parallel, which the support document I downloaded from Allied shows only parallel setup? (See pic below)? Should I rewire to Parallel, or is this fine... or perhaps it's more complex?

One other item to note is that the charger shows voltage just fine (Red digital display), but during the entire charging time, the amps (blue display) are constantly at zero, even after a full charge.

Those Allied batteries are darn expensive! I also didn't notice they sell 80Ah anymore only 30, 60 and 105, however perhaps I don't need new batteries yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image21252.jpg (192.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image21251.jpg (188.2 KB, 0 views)
TheQMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium Batteries Help (Allied)

Double Post!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
TheQMiami
Not Yet Wild

Double post? Did this get posted elsewhere?
Old 11-05-2022, 07:04 AM   #4
Walrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You have 4 12v batteries. They need to be in series to generate 48v. Changing to parallel would only give 12v to the motor.
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:08 PM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

theres is a pretty flat energy curve with lithium so the old fashioned lead acid volt battery gauges dont really work very well until its really dead.

Also, the 3.2v in those batteries are 3.650v fully charged and like 3.1-3.2v when down to 20% which is about as low as you want to go with lifepo4 batteries without damging thier life expectancy... Since theres 4 cells in a 12 lifepo4 battery that means the battery still puts out about 12.8v when essentually fully discharged at the safe max. And the pack still puts out over 50v which is higher than the peak of the old 48v battery meter... in short you need a higher voltage battery meter preferably something like a digital meter. a digital volt meter or a programmable volt meter like this one im using now with my old batteries https://www.ebay.com/itm/265643697888?var=565431890126

works well.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:21 PM   #6
TheQMiami
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQMiami View Post
Double post? Did this get posted elsewhere?
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need a battery meter with a shunt like the Renogy battery monitor to accurately gauge the SOC on those batteries. A regular 2 wire voltage meter won’t work with a lithium setup because voltage doesn’t drop as the charge goes down as much as lead batteries.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #8
TheQMiami
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
theres is a pretty flat energy curve with lithium so the old fashioned lead acid volt battery gauges dont really work very well until its really dead.

Also, the 3.2v in those batteries are 3.650v fully charged and like 3.1-3.2v when down to 20% which is about as low as you want to go with lifepo4 batteries without damging thier life expectancy... Since theres 4 cells in a 12 lifepo4 battery that means the battery still puts out about 12.8v when essentually fully discharged at the safe max. And the pack still puts out over 50v which is higher than the peak of the old 48v battery meter... in short you need a higher voltage battery meter preferably something like a digital meter. a digital volt meter or a programmable volt meter like this one im using now with my old batteries https://www.ebay.com/itm/265643697888?var=565431890126

works well.
Sorry for the late response, had some biz travel to get to and them family stuff. Thanks for the excellent response and I did find a meter that worked worked worthy system without having to buy the expensive Allied version. Seems all is fine and batteries are giving me around 30-35 miles on 80% of charge.

Dowside is that my charger gave a boom sound, spewed some smoke and won't turn on anymore as of a couple of days ago. The newer allied chargers are ver expensive. I have a snap plug and have posted pix with the info from my charger below. I figure I know it has to be LiFepo4 but don't know what amps I need. I'm also wondering if I can just switch out the connector to a universal aobibhave more options For charger as I can't seem to find one with this snap plug. Can anyone help or explain to me what it is I need and will 15A work? I'm so lost with the electrical info on these things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221217_130714.jpg (158.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221217_173000.jpg (72.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
TheQMiami
Not Yet Wild

I think this the newer replacement from Alied, but everything on their site is double to triple pricing.

https://alliedlithium.com/collection...rger-48v-15amp
Old 12-18-2022, 05:40 PM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

If it were me I'd get something like this. https://m.aliexpress.com/p/shoppingc...48506b41rENE8Y
The higher the amp output of the charger the faster it will charge. Other than that it doesn't matter but voltage does. You want the 58.4v charger. If you don't want to swap the plug on the end you can likely find a seller that has the correct plug already wired up.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meter, miami, volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium