lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #21
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: So..Who's selling a good BMS system for a 48V Lithium Ion Leaf pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Yes, if you have one, but Dave is more likely to have, or be able to purchase cheaply, a fine tipped iron. A rework station will be cost prohibitive for a one off job. If he had a rework station he wouldn’t be asking here about how to swap out an LCD screen as he would already have experience in fine soldering.

Dave, I’ve never used a Chargery BMS so I can’t comment on that. I’ve had good experiences with JBD, which are also available from AliExpress. You can purchase with Bluetooth, LCD display, or both. If you want both then you’ll have to look closely as most support one or the other as they use the same connection port. Only some have two ports on them. I believe they use RS422/485 comms so you could possibly splice both to the one port. In fact, that’s something I might try in the coming week.
Good point YMMV but,
I purchased my rework station on ebay about 4 years ago for about 40 bucks.. I ve found it well worth the money and it's paid for itself multiple times. I knew nothing of them until I saw a YouTube review on one.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: So..Who's selling a good BMS system for a 48V Lithium Ion Leaf pack?

Thanks. When my Son was home over Thanksgiving I talked about my screen thing. My Son is an engineer. He laughed at me and the said he has the proper soldering iron & wick “stuff” to do the job. He’s messed with this stuff in other applications…plus he did take “Board 101” at Penn State. Hey,….how would I know? He does “stuff” that I don’t understand…and when I worked I did “stuff” he didn’t understand. (CPA)

So I got the swap thing figured out. 👍
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #23
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I sent an email to ElCon of California. They were the ones who reprogramed my ElCon charger so I could change charge volt settings via CanBus. Now, this company is NOT Ian from ZEVA.

So, my email was:

Gentlemen,

Back in 2018 I had you reconfigure my Elcon 1800W charger. I originally purchased this from a dealer in China (not know that it was from China at the time) and they sent me the wrong unit.

So, after you did the conversion I connected the charger to my ZEVA BMS to charge my Lithium-Ion (Nissan Leaf Modules) and set the pack voltage to 57V. My BMS will not provide settings for anything other than full voltage.

The initial charging, and every charging after that would bring the pack voltage to 57.3. This did not overcharge any one battery cell.

However, last month the charger began to creep the pack charge up to 57.5V. So, I entered my BMS “Settings” to change the pack charge to 56V, and the BMS accepted the change. Then, at the very next attempt to inter the Settings on the BMS LCD screen, the touch screen went “wonky” and would not accept my pushing the correct setting buttons.

So, now the pack is set to charge at 56V, and the charger must be unplugged when it reaches the 56.5V. The charger appears to be “winding down” as the pack voltage reaches the 56.5V, but I do not trust that the charger will stop charging. BTW, I do have relays in place to cut the charger off should any cells voltage reach a given number.

So, my question is do you think this is a faulty charger…or has something in the code gone awry?

Thanks much

Dave (Not an Engineer) See Subject line for your Invoice #

Today I received an email back from them as follows:

David,

How many Nissan Leaf modules do you have? The maximum charging voltage for these modules is 8.4V (two 4.2V cells in series and two in parallel). If you need 57V and the charger is going to 56.5V then there is no problem. You can let it go to 57V and see if it stops. You will need to monitor the CAN messages being sent by your BMS to see what voltage it is asking for. It may not be the charger but a defective BMS. Once you get the BMS repaired or replaced then you can see if it is the charger.

Regards,

So....it appears they are saying it may be the BMS....not the charger. So....I'm no further ahead than I was before....but I figured I'd post it for you engineering types to review.

Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #24
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

What they are saying is correct, if you’re able to monitor the CAN bus you’ll be able to see if the BMS is giving the charger correct messages.

Your battery pack can tolerate a maximum charge voltage of 58.8v, so let it go and see what it gets to. Monitor it closely though. I set mine to 57.4v (4.1v per cell) and Volt_Ampare has his set to 57v (4.07v per cell).
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:23 AM   #25
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
What they are saying is correct, if you’re able to monitor the CAN bus you’ll be able to see if the BMS is giving the charger correct messages.

Your battery pack can tolerate a maximum charge voltage of 58.8v, so let it go and see what it gets to. Monitor it closely though. I set mine to 57.4v (4.1v per cell) and Volt_Ampare has his set to 57v (4.07v per cell).
Ok....but how does one "Monitor" the Can bus message?

I had the BMS charge set to 57V. I can only set the "pack charge" in round voltage numbers....ie: 56V, 57V....I cannot set the pack charge to say...57.4V

When I had the pack V set to 57V, the charger (from day one) would always charge the pack to 57.3V (which comes out to 4.093VPC). Then I noticed during a charge session that the charge was up to 57.5V.

I then changed the pack charge to 56V (which it's at now) and the touch screen went "wonky" and I could no longer change the charger voltage settings....or any BMS settings for that matter.

Now I'm beginning to think it's not just a monitor "thing" but perhaps the BMS has gone bad.

Well...the BMS still provides me with (via using the touch screen to switch to different information screens) cell data and I've double checked what the BMS says with my MM and it agrees. So, I do have confidence that the BMS is keeping the pack "safe", balancing the cells, and monitoring the voltage properly.

Well...my $12 touch screen has arrived in the USA...I suspect another week to get here...then I'll mail it all up to my Son in Michigan for the solder work....then back to me....then the "test" to see if that was the problem.

Sorry....a lot of rambling
Old 12-09-2022, 03:40 AM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’m not familiar with CANBUS at all but I believe you can get a PC interface. Anyhow, let’s see how the new screen goes first.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:42 AM   #27
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
I’m not familiar with CANBUS at all but I believe you can get a PC interface. Anyhow, let’s see how the new screen goes first.
Yup....I don't wanna put the cart before the horse. I've done that at times in my life and it hasn't worked well!
Old 12-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #28
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Not quite like Christmas........but I got the new screen today. I posted a few pic's below.

The new screen has the "pins" already soldered on it...so that's a plus? And I'm wondering if I de-solder the old screen from the control board it's soldered on....would I need to solder this new screen on that board....or (like boards on laptops and trail cams 'n stuff) could I just press the new screen into the board?

Anyway....pics...

Edit: I'm amazed as to how such a perfect solder job on those pins can be made. That has to be machine done?

Old 12-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #29
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, you’ll need to solder it unless you solder a female header to the board that those pins will press in to. But then the two boards will be further apart.

The perfect soldering is done by a wave soldering machine, certainly not by hand.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:08 PM   #30
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks Pat. For the guidance & the reason the solder looks perfect!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO