lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default LFP vs other lithium: 100% charging?

Telsa has come out with recommendations to charge their newer Model 3 LFP batteries to 100%, vs other chemistries being recommended at 80%.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...le-lfp-version

Does this mean LFP packs that we have been installing should also be charged to 100%? My plan was to keep the operating range between 80% and 20%.

My EZGO lithium pack is a Big Battery Husky 105AH. LFP chemistry. I have not seen anything from Big Battery regarding charging range recs.
once_for_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: LFP vs other lithium: 100% charging?

You can recharge lithium batteries of any chemistry to 100% and they should meet the advertised lifespan. Using the battery between 20% and 80% will lengthen the advertised lifespan as you’re only doing a 60% charge cycle, not 100%.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #3
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so are you saying that charging from 40% to 100% is the same longevity as 20% to 80%?

I've heard that the shutoff SOC level is key for longevity as well, at least for non LFP chemistry. LFP appears to be different in that regard?

Back in the day when the Nissan Leaf was basically the only game in town, Nissan initially came out with the 80% setting on their charging software, with the goal of maximizing battery life. About 2014-15, they began saying that it wasn't as critical on their newer packs and deleted that feature.
once_for_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not exactly, but close. I wouldn’t charge to 100% anyhow (3.65v/cell for LiFePO4) but I would charge to 98%-99% (around 3.55v/cell)

Nissan Leaf used NMC cells, very different to LiFePO4.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium