lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Default Stupid battery / fuse question

I have a brand spanking new 2021 Yamaha EFI Drive2 Adventurer 2+2 Sport. Very exciting! I ordered an LEDGLOW underbody and wheel well add-on kit. My amateur *** spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to as clean an install as I could. That and the room to work in the compartment did not make for an easy time.

Got it all set up yesterday. Last night, went to take the cart out for a ride. Nothing. Turns out, I blew the 25A mini-fuse in the fuse box.

Suspecting the LEDGLow and the massive nest of wiring caused my new-found issue, I disconnected the LEDGlow lights and replaced the 25A mini-fuse. Golf cart drove around beautifully.

Now, I hear from LEDGlow that their product could not be the problem because they draw so little. Additionally, the power wire leads connect directly to the battery terminal with its own fuse inline on the positive lead. The LEDGlow does not go through the cart's fuse block. LEDGlow states the problem is not their product. Of course they'd say that.

Is it possible / likely I may have accidentally shorted out the cart while installing the LEDGlow power leads to the battery terminals? Maybe the socket wrench touched the metal frame and I didn't really notice? Maybe I connected the LEDGlow power leads in the incorrect order (negative first, then positive?).
ElDiabloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stupid battery / fuse question

It's more likely you pinched, crushed or put a screw through something while installing the LED Glow kit. If it were a short at the battery terminals it would have been going through the wrench and /or YOU - not the wiring to and from the fuse.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
It's more likely you pinched, crushed or put a screw through something while installing the LED Glow kit. If it were a short at the battery terminals it would have been going through the wrench and /or YOU - not the wiring to and from the fuse.
Yeah, I felt a little bite, but nothing like a 110V household electrical socket.

I did not use any screws, just adhesive tape to metal frame or plastic inner wheel wells, and cable ties.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Start looking around at all the wires you may have moved/touched/cut etc. I'm betting you have a connection loose or disconnected. If you blew a fuse, it means there is a short somewhere. If it keeps blowing, even after you have disconnected the light kit, then you know you have an issue. If it doesn't blow the fuse, then you're good, but I'd still look around for something in the wiring.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
Godfather
Getting Wild

I installed an LEDGlow kit to my 2018 PTV In July 2019 and it has been working flawlessly since then.

As stated above, there is a short somewhere. I would look for a pinched or bare wire near your install work areas.

Let us know what you find.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Okay, finally got around to crimping a coupla spade-type connectors to the raw wire leads from the LEDGlow kit. They helped with squeezing the connections against the nut/bolt and other connections to the battery terminals.

Now it all works fine and the cart runs well. It must have been when the handle of my socket wrench ratchet connected with a piece of metal framing while loosening the terminal connections.

Thanks for your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha