lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Default need help on a build or any place to get a custom build?

hey all, I spent the better part of a week reading countless threads here and watching youtube videos on lithium batteries. first of all a shout out to three people i see post a lot and always try to help. Pingeye3, Sergio, and Bobboyce. you guys seem like amazing people! Ok down to business. I don't have any experience with electrical or lithium batteries, and frankly a project costing this much scares the hell out of me.

That brings me to my first question. is there any place that builds custom setups that is recommended by you guys? i dont mind paying but when i looked at for example Allied Batteries alot of people here say there trash and way over priced. $535 for 1 12v 60AH battery, and over $900 for a 100AH

Second, like i said i watched alot of videos and read dozens of posts here and while i now feel like im starting to understand how these builds are made, more importantly the importance of things like BMS's and over charge/temp shut offs, I further realize just how little i know... kinda the more i learn the more I dont know lol if that makes sense.

Third, and this one will be alot. The if i build. it seems like everyone likes the leafs. as stated in many threads they are the easiest to work with. My concern is i drive my cart on a lease in GA and the clay dust gets in places you couldn't imagine. could this harm the cells? i also found these cells witch are intriguing to me because they state they are for high vibration applications. super durable, link together and look very well made. here's a link with a great video about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buNxclZixuU
they make a 60AH and a 100AH. what do you guys think of them? link to the 60AH https://www.electriccarpartscompany....ncased-Battery
and the 100AH https://www.electriccarpartscompany....ncased-Battery

So another concern is I saw the max discharge flow on a leaf is 500A and the ones linked above are 500 or 600A depending on the model. my controller is a 650A will this be a problem? link to my controller https://evolveelectrics.com/products/1238-e Also this will be going in a Club Car DS and im upgrading it to 72V so ill see if i can add a photo of the current battery trey, but essentially its three groups of 2 8V batteries each question here is can I make three 24V packs and run them in series to get 72V? is it not recommended to not have them all together? I ask because I've never seen it done like that? Can i run say three 24V BMS's or should i run 1 72V? does anyone have a link for the 72? i think that means it would be a 24S... im still trying to read and learn so any help is greatly appreciated.
keepinitreal538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: need help on a build or any place to get a custom build?

If the project scares the hell out of you, I wouldn't do it. I have some experience with electrical, and it wasn't all that difficult to me, but anyone who has zero experience, I think this would be a no go.

As far as builders, I think there are some folks that do it various locations. I know of one in Louisiana and one in Florida. I think they are out there.

i talked to the guys at electric car parts. I liked what they had to say. They were knowledgeable, but I thought that it was pricey compared to a Leaf build, and required a lot more assembly.

The controller in your link is 550 (or at least that's the one highlighted when I pull it up), but if it's 650, you should be fine.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Vinnie, Thank you for the response. the part that scares me is the "i hope i can figure it out." and with you guys i think I can. My controller is the 1238E-7621 (72-96V 650A) model on that page. Im in florida could you share the contact you have here? i can't PM yet or I would ask in a PM. also what are your thoughts on the cells i found?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

battery's look interesting. I looked at the 100ah. for 96v you need about 26
26 at 3.65 = 94.9 vfolts max charge
26 at 2.2 = 57.2 end of discharge ( controller probably wont work below 72)
total weight 171.6 lbs
size 41.6" x 5.4" x 12"
or 20.8" x 10.8"x 12"
you would still need charge, hardware, and bms

looks good but pricy. and like others have and will say its a big jump into the deep end of the pool.
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Jethaulin, Thanks for the reply. Hearing my controller wont work makes me rethink those batteries. I'll look at the Leaf cells. For that controller (72V-96V) how many leaf cells do you think ill need?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Eleven Leaf modules would give you a max voltage of about 88V. Ten would give you about 80V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Volt_Ampere, Thanks for the reply. At 8V each 12 would bring me to 96V (max for the controller) that's saying i dont charge to the 8.3V and only to 8V's, but discharge cut off is 5V on the leafs. Meaning even at 12 cells thats 60V. Would my controller stop working below 72V? would i have to set the battery cutoff at 72V to protect the controller, or will it just not work but not hurt it? Another question i think i remember reading here somewhere that the max output for the leaf cells is 600 amps... if that is correct will that effect my 650 amp controller? will it still function? thank you everyone who is helping me learn this stuff.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you are careful not to charge over 96V, you could use 12 modules. No way would I run my Leaf cells down to 5Volts! I recharge at about 6.8V (3.4V per cell). The capacity difference between 3.4V and empty is small but the batteries are going to last longer if you avoid going anywhere below 3V per cell. I charge to about 4.1V per cell. I have a 14 module pack wired parallel so that I get about 56 Volts max. I normally play 4 rounds of golf per charge cycle.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Volt, thanks again for the reply! you said you charge to 4.1. do you achieve this by settings in your charger or the BMS? if its an easy thing to protect from over charging then i will do the 12 cells for sure! after looking at Techdirect my question becomes this.... i really like there storage containers for the leaf cells, and they would fit the battery trays in my DS without any mods to them. pricing out everything from them(cells, BMS, Charger, boxes, Pins wires blocks ext...) it would cost about the exact same as just buying there kits, so i think i might just go that rout. best of both worlds.... there kits require assembling so i still get the feeling of building it myself but i know everything is included and speced right lol. so finally to what might be my last question. could i buy a 36V and a 48V pack and run then in series to equal the 12 cells, and just set charging limits so i dont over charge? or should i just do 2 36V kits? Thank you again! I have a new Delta-Q 912-7200 72V charger. I dont know if that will work let me know if it will and how to do so please. if not i will just get a separate charger for each of the 2 packs and charge them separate but at the same time.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I adjusted the voltage on my charger to get it to charge to 4.1V per cell. (57.4V) My BMS will cut off charge if any cell gets to 4.2V - it's never happened.

Tags
lithium custom
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car