lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
ezgotxtman
Not Yet Wild

Default Black Soot on Spark Plugs

My 2005 EZGO TXT didn't have any black soot on the S. Plugs until the EZGO factory team did the recall program.

My 295cc 4 cycle was running fine with the BPR4ES plugs, gaped at .028-.030. They looked fine with some (slight) black soot on them, but that seem to be normal for the past two years.

Last week the EZGO team made the air box recall that should have been done last year (just now getting to it after many a phone call) on their recall program on this model year.
They removed the factory (flat) air box and filter, installed a baffle plate and .etc, plus a new (different filter system), and new FR2A-D spark plugs.

Now the new FR2A-D spark plugs are coated (thick, not oily) black soot. So bad that they are hard to remove from the cylinder head.
They did not install a new carburetor, just replaced the original one, and did no changes to the carburetor adjustments. I was told they would install a new carburetor with this new recall program.

So, any guess what can be done to eliminate this soot on the spark plugs?
ezgotxtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Black Soot on Spark Plugs

I remember hearing not all the carts involved in the recall would get a new carb, some of the newer carts would only get the new breather setup. It sounds as though they have restricted the airflow to the point that your choke circuit in now activating when your running it. They may have installed the baffle plate wrong or done something else to restrict the air flow. Have you told them about the problem, i'm sure its not suppose to be that way.
Bob-O has done these recalls, he should know whats going on.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
ezgotxtman
Not Yet Wild

Watching these two do the modifications, they seems to be in a hurry. I did notice how they didn't take the time to see if the "choke butterfly" was set correctly. So this afternoon, I did just that, and sure enough, they had it screwed down where it was half closed. I removed the new FR2A-D spark plugs and installed the old ones that came in the cart. I will run the cart several miles to see if there is any new black soot on the plugs.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Sounds like you have found and fixed the problem, techs like that should have their pay docked when they do something careless like that. It would sure cut down on the mistakes if it came out of their pocket.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
milo32000
Not Yet Wild

how do you find out if your cart is in the recall ?
Thanks, Milo
milo32000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
ezgotxtman
Not Yet Wild

Mil03200, here is a web site you can log on to get all the information.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05263.html

This is the E-Z-GO announcing Recall on golf cars from 2002 through 2005.
It will ask for your serial number, and you can call E-Z-GO..

If you have one under a recall, you will have to get serious with the factory.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO