lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Noobie wants to switch lithium

Hey guys, I am an ABSOLUTE NOVICE when it comes to batteries (controllers, motors, accessories, etc. I have down pat). And I hear SO MUCH talk about lithium conversions. My big question is WHAT SHOULD I DO? I see some say that allied drop-in batteries are good if you have the cash, some say otherwise. Some say to get Nissan Leaf batteries pre-built into a kit that includes the BMS (Im looking at one from TechDirect on ebay). Some say otherwise. Where should I go and what should I do? I dont care to drop cash as long as its not gonna be wasted.

I should also mention that I just purchased a lester summit 2 charger that Id like to keep and use. Thanks so much!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Noobie wants to switch lithium

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. TechDirect has nice priced leaf batteries. I would stay away from their BMS system not very high current rate. You can read about the circuit board BMS in some of the treads by doing a search. Then reads other members builds that they have converted to lithium. I personally like the Zeva BMS16 to use with the leaf, but it is expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
It really depends on how much money you want to spend. TechDirect has nice priced leaf batteries. I would stay away from their BMS system not very high current rate. You can read about the circuit board BMS in some of the treads by doing a search. Then reads other members builds that they have converted to lithium. I personally like the Zeva BMS16 to use with the leaf, but it is expensive.

So building my own set up would better here? I see the leaf batteries are fairly straight forward. I understand the series/parallel set to give me 48v and etc. But installing the BMS and ensuring I dont fry $1000 worth of batteries is what scares me. Is there literature/how to videos out there for installing a BMS?

Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

The answer is yes. Videos on YouTube are ok but most don’t really go into a lot of detail. Best to read the other builds members have done. They have wiring diagrams you can download on the different BMS’s you may want to use.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So if Im making a shopping list of things to get for my own build, it would be

1.) The actual leaf Cells (probably 14 at least for 48 volts?)
2.) A BMS (give me some recommendations)
3.) Hardware to mount all this together
4.) ??? After that Im clueless. Ive heard people talk about shunts, temp sensors, other things? Is all of that necessary?

Also, as mentioned earlier, I believe the charger I currently have will do the job. Its a lester summit 2.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was a complete noob, to GCs as well as electrical. I did the Nissan Leaf conversion with Zeva BMS. I was able to do it with help from others on this forum and reading through build threads.

I have a build thread on here, but for purposes of learning how to do the swap, it is hard to follow, as it jumps around from different topics of doing a complete tear down of a GC and building back up. Here is the thread that helped me really understand the wiring and such: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/all-t...hium-pack.html

Hope this helps. I'll answer what questions I can, but there are others on here that are much more knowledgeable and I'm sure they will be along before too long to offer guidance.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. So thus far Im leaning towards doing 14 G2 leaf cells from Tech direct (around $1200). My question is, would the Zeva BMS16 do all of the cells or would I need multiple BMS's? I understand each cell has 2 total batteries in it (or is it 4?) Ive also seen the Chargery 14 and 28 BMS. Just curious on which route to take. I like the robust look and feel of the Chargery, but I hear really good things about the zeva BMS16.

Also, how weather resistant is a lithium ion pack? I feel like if I dont build a good enclosre I'll be screwed. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Here's a "hit list" of what I purchased, the item cost, and the place I got 'em.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Here's a "hit list" of what I purchased, the item cost, and the place I got 'em.

DaveTM-

Thats so inctedibly helpful and gives me a realistic idea of what to expect cost wise. Do you have a pic of your set up?

Old 12-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do a search on DaveTM he has a great build tread that shows all the stuff he did. He even has lots of pictures showing what he did.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium