lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Rurki
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium Project is a Go!

I thought I had everything in, but forgot the copper busbars. So waiting till they arrive to complete the pack this coming weekend. I have the diagram provided for the Leaf build, but am cautious when connected batteries. I will be triple checking the connections before I bolt them in :)

Before:
IMG_20190613_090918.jpg
IMG_20190803_101458.jpg

Removed 400lbs of batteries and cut the battery hold down off.
Sanded the rush and sprayed it with Rustoleum before creating the base.

IMG_20190803_110805.jpg

I created 22x10 inserts for the bottom of the battery box, then filled the space with 2 inch angle iron for support. Afterward I bolted a 22x20 piece of aluminum for the deck. Its solid as a rock and easily supports my 210 lbs.

IMG_20190803_150413.jpg

Following the extremely detailed guild created by MCJEFE and I'm slowly and nervously building the pack. Thanks to cmysstailights for the 3D printed terminal covers, they fit perfectly.

IMG_20190803_150418.jpg

May be a stupid question, but is there a particular series of terminals that need to be connected first? Left to right, top terminal? Don't want to short anything out, so being very careful.
Rurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Project is a Go!

Attached is the drawing I supplied for McJefe and his RXV lithium install. You can see the position of the bus bars on the drawing. Nice job on the tray, BTW.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeff Caldwell - EZGO RXV - Lithium Conversion.pdf (166.6 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I suggest that you close off the top of the back wall up to the cart label and also the triangular areas on both sides below the rise in the cart frame over the axle. You will get a lot of dirt, water splash and debris, if not. The batteries basically close all that off before, but the dirt & water didn't matter as much for them.

First pic for a single pack. Charger on bottom next to pack, DC-DC converter on Driver side flat area. When I have done a double pack in a TXT, I had DC-DC in same place but charger was mounted on 5" tall all thread above the DC-DC converter, 2nd pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180220_185627162.jpg (357.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg JB - New 14 Cell Pack.jpg (328.8 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like your pack is coming along nicely!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Rurki
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
I suggest that you close off the top of the back wall up to the cart label and also the triangular areas on both sides below the rise in the cart frame over the axle. You will get a lot of dirt, water splash and debris, if not. The batteries basically close all that off before, but the dirt & water didn't matter as much for them.

First pic for a single pack. Charger on bottom next to pack, DC-DC converter on Driver side flat area. When I have done a double pack in a TXT, I had DC-DC in same place but charger was mounted on 5" tall all thread above the DC-DC converter, 2nd pic.
Thats exactly what I was worried about. I live in south Florida, so water and mud are going to happen. I thought the batteries needed a bit of airflow, but ill seal it up just like you did.

Thanks for the clarification and advice.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Rurki
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Attached is the drawing I supplied for McJefe and his RXV lithium install. You can see the position of the bus bars on the drawing. Nice job on the tray, BTW.
That's the diagram I have printed in my garage. Connecting the terminals still scare the hell out of me :)

Thanks, more to come after I get the busbars in.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Rurki
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Looks like your pack is coming along nicely!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks! It's your fault. You and that detailed build
Old 08-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Great diagram PingEye! Man, I wish I had this when I started on my build. It would have saved me a lot of hours searching the internet and trying to triple check everything.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurki View Post
Thats exactly what I was worried about. I live in south Florida, so water and mud are going to happen. I thought the batteries needed a bit of airflow, but ill seal it up just like you did.
Airflow/cooling is important but the more capacity you have the less heat buildup you will see for a given amp draw. Basically if you have 10 cells and 90 amp continuous draw they will heat more than 20 cells in a 2P config and 90 amp draw. But I don't know what kind of rise you may see. If it's a degree or two then it's not an issue either way. I just don't know and given we both live in FL where it's 92 degrees outside we need to be cognizant of battery temps.

If you are worried about it, put in a fan. There are a lot of choices at BGMicro. I bought four of these from them today:
http://www.bgmicro.com/fan-axial-40x...l-bearing.aspx
I'll run them from the other side of the solenoid and wire the four in series. So when the solenoid is activated the active cooling will be running.

---edit--- I just noticed every post so far on this thread is from someone living in Florida... Pretty wild
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Rurki
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Airflow/cooling is important but the more capacity you have the less heat buildup you will see for a given amp draw. Basically if you have 10 cells and 90 amp continuous draw they will heat more than 20 cells in a 2P config and 90 amp draw. But I don't know what kind of rise you may see. If it's a degree or two then it's not an issue either way. I just don't know and given we both live in FL where it's 92 degrees outside we need to be cognizant of battery temps.

If you are worried about it, put in a fan. There are a lot of choices at BGMicro. I bought four of these from them today:
http://www.bgmicro.com/fan-axial-40x...l-bearing.aspx
I'll run them from the other side of the solenoid and wire the four in series. So when the solenoid is activated the active cooling will be running.

---edit--- I just noticed every post so far on this thread is from someone living in Florida... Pretty wild
Thanks, i was looking at mounting some 120mm fans inside, just in case. I have some industrial units from a computer build I completed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium