lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
thomasx
Not Yet Wild

Question How will the ClubCar motor handle Lithium power?

Hello everyone!

My father recently bought a ClubCar Precedent 2009.

Since I am well acquainted with both lead-acid batteries and lithium batteries, LiFePo (LFP) and have done several conversions on boats, I got interested in converting my fathers ClubCar to LFP's.

I know what batteries to use, charging, power consumption, and all that stuff related to lithium batteries in general.

What I am a interested in, is to understand how the ClubCar electrical motor and other electrical stuff in the vehicle will work with a lithium setup. My main concern is regarding the LFP's ability to deliver power, current, even at high loads, maintaining the voltage level.

Will the motor, and electrics, handle this, or is there a risk of overheating/burning the motor. And if so, how is this handled in the best way?

Thanks!
thomasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: How will the ClubCar motor handle Lithium power?

If voltages are about the same, the motor and controller will not care that you have Lithium vs FLA batteries. You have to size the battery capability to handle the current demand and required range.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

You say you’re well versed with lithium batteries, doing boat conversions, that’s a good foundation but be aware that 12v lithium doesn’t play well when connected in series. Use a 48v, high current output battery, not 4x12v batteries.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Motor, electrics, most things on the cart will be fine anywhere from about 42 up to about 55v.
Your batteries will care when the motor starts pulling more amps than they're designed to output, so do alot of research on your battery choice for constant current rating, and if it's a common battery brand see what experiences other people have had with that battery when used in a cart.

As Pat said, a lot of 12v LI batteries when used in series do not have the ability to constantly output enough current for the cart demands, and their BMS' will go into shut-down. Generally a 48v battery or multiple 48v in parallel will do much better.
Lots of info on this forum on Lithium setups. For more Club Car specifics check in the Club Car Lithium section. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Good luck with your project! :thumbup
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
Dallas@Eco Battery
Getting Wild

We have installed and sold thousands of batteries specifically installed in the Precedent without any issues. Our 51v/105Ah battery is a popular choice and fits extremely well in the Precedent with no modifications required.
Dallas@Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium