lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO 2Five Lithium Conversion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Yes, that is how the BMS is wired to the modules in the Leaf pack. Great find on the DPDT 48V relay! Perfect for the purpose...
I am starting to gain confidence that I can actually do this given your kind assistance!

I am not an engineer, so was hoping you can explain in layman's terms how the BMS connects to my existing on-board charger via the DPDT relay. I looked at your BMS schematic and have the following questions:

1. It looks like there is some type of negative wiring that connects in two places on the BMS marked "C-" in the diagram. Does it actually connect in one or two places and what type/gauge of wire and connections/terminations are used to connect the BMS to the DPDT relay?

2. Same question as above about the positive wire from the cell 14 positive terminal to the DPDT and then from the DPDT relay to the existing on-board charger.

3. Where exactly does the positive wire running from the DPDT relay to the existing on-board charger connect to the charger? Is it spliced into an exiting wire or connected some other way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMS wiring.jpg (71.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by bernito; 12-30-2018 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot picture
bernito is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernito View Post
I am starting to gain confidence that I can actually do this given your kind assistance!

I am not an engineer, so was hoping you can explain in layman's terms how the BMS connects to my existing on-board charger via the DPDT relay. I looked at your BMS schematic and have the following questions:

1. It looks like there is some type of negative wiring that connects in two places on the BMS marked "C-" in the diagram. Does it actually connect in one or two places and what type/gauge of wire and connections/terminations are used to connect the BMS to the DPDT relay?

2. Same question as above about the positive wire from the cell 14 positive terminal to the DPDT and then from the DPDT relay to the existing on-board charger.

3. Where exactly does the positive wire running from the DPDT relay to the existing on-board charger connect to the charger? Is it spliced into an exiting wire or connected some other way?
Sorry, that diagram is for a low current charger, less than 10 Amps. The onboard charger would burn out the relay in short order. I had to alter my use of the relay to be able to work with my existing onboard charger. Here is the altered diagram for use with a charger that puts out more than 10 Amps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMS PCB High Power Charger.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Sorry, that diagram is for a low current charger, less than 10 Amps. The onboard charger would burn out the relay in short order. I had to alter my use of the relay to be able to work with my existing onboard charger. Here is the altered diagram for use with a charger that puts out more than 10 Amps...
Thank you for the updated diagram. Which item in the new diagram is the relay? Is it where the three blue wires enter under "Interlock?"

Also, is that a fuse under "Reset/Override" or something else?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For my setup I used a 48V 30 amp relay for my charger disconnect. It was dirt cheap and it is holding up fine with my 17 amp charger. My stuff is all driven by an Arduino based BMS that I designed and built myself.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
For my setup I used a 48V 30 amp relay for my charger disconnect. It was dirt cheap and it is holding up fine with my 17 amp charger. My stuff is all driven by an Arduino based BMS that I designed and built myself.
I am not an electrical engineer, so I am trying to be certain that I wire this thing exactly right for safety. I am going to copy Bob's build in the diagram below and am trying to figure out a few things. I understand how to assemble the 7 module leaf pack and correctly connect it to the BMS plug. I have several questions from that point on:

1. There is wiring originating at the negative Leaf battery pack terminal that appears to connect in two places on the BMS B- in the diagram. What is the difference between the wiring above vs below the B- as well as above and below the C- that terminates at the solenoid?

2. A DSDP relay shown being connected with 3 blue wires below where it says Interlock which I believe is designed to allow the BMS to control the existing onboard charger. I am trying to understand exactly how the relay is wired in absolute layman's terms!

I have also attached a photo of the relay I am using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMS PCB High Power Charger Diagram.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Relay.jpg (604.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernito View Post
I am not an electrical engineer, so I am trying to be certain that I wire this thing exactly right for safety. I am going to copy Bob's build in the diagram below and am trying to figure out a few things. I understand how to assemble the 7 module leaf pack and correctly connect it to the BMS plug. I have several questions from that point on:

1. There is wiring originating at the negative Leaf battery pack terminal that appears to connect in two places on the BMS B- in the diagram. What is the difference between the wiring above vs below the B- as well as above and below the C- that terminates at the solenoid?

2. A DSDP relay shown being connected with 3 blue wires below where it says Interlock which I believe is designed to allow the BMS to control the existing onboard charger. I am trying to understand exactly how the relay is wired in absolute layman's terms!

I have also attached a photo of the relay I am using.
My drawing is a wiring diagram, so there are 3 parts of the relay shown in the diagram...

1. The relay coil is shown connected to C- and pack + at the + side of lithium cell 14.

2. The first set of relay contacts is shown inserted into the path of the chargers AC input, on the AC Hot side, One lead is connected to Com (common) and the other to NO (Normally Open)

3. The second set of relay contacts is shown as the interlock. The interlock is what shuts the cart down when the battery pack voltage drops to the LVCO (Low Voltage Cut Off) setpoint. To protect the lithium pack from an overdischarge condition.

The Reset/Override switch is a SPST switch. It is used to override the BMS for manual operation of the relay. I used an AC light switch like those used in houses, as my Reset/Override switch. I put it under the seat, and wired it with a quick-disconnect cable for security.

In my particular application, my interlock interrupts +48V to the keyswitch. Fused battery +48V is connected to the interrupt terminal Com and the keyswitch +48V input is connected to the interrupt terminal NO. I added a 48V reverse buzzer to the interrupt terminal NC so that it alarms if the battery pack LVCO engages. So, with the override switch on, the LVCO alarm sounds and the cart does not shut down. Since the charger cable is unplugged while driving, the override switch cannot enable the charger. With the override switch off, the LVCO alarn sounds AND the cart shuts down.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Neat stuff Bob!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
My drawing is a wiring diagram, so there are 3 parts of the relay shown in the diagram...

1. The relay coil is shown connected to C- and pack + at the + side of lithium cell 14.

2. The first set of relay contacts is shown inserted into the path of the chargers AC input, on the AC Hot side, One lead is connected to Com (common) and the other to NO (Normally Open)

3. The second set of relay contacts is shown as the interlock. The interlock is what shuts the cart down when the battery pack voltage drops to the LVCO (Low Voltage Cut Off) setpoint. To protect the lithium pack from an overdischarge condition.

The Reset/Override switch is a SPST switch. It is used to override the BMS for manual operation of the relay. I used an AC light switch like those used in houses, as my Reset/Override switch. I put it under the seat, and wired it with a quick-disconnect cable for security.

In my particular application, my interlock interrupts +48V to the keyswitch. Fused battery +48V is connected to the interrupt terminal Com and the keyswitch +48V input is connected to the interrupt terminal NO. I added a 48V reverse buzzer to the interrupt terminal NC so that it alarms if the battery pack LVCO engages. So, with the override switch on, the LVCO alarm sounds and the cart does not shut down. Since the charger cable is unplugged while driving, the override switch cannot enable the charger. With the override switch off, the LVCO alarn sounds AND the cart shuts down.

Bob
Thank you for the detailed explanation, it is very helpful.

1. What gauge wiring do you recommend for all the connections to the relay?

2. I am going to skip the reset/override switch, so I think my setup will only have 1 connection into the B- from the - side of lithium cell 1 and 1 connection from the C- cell to the relay coil. Are those wires soldered into the holes at the top of the BMS or affixed some other way?

3. I want to confirm you are tapping into the black AC cord's hot wire that runs from the front wall charger receptacle to the battery charger receptacle.

4. In your build thread, cgtech said he hooks the BMS interlock up to interrupt the controller's throttle input. Do you know where the throttle input wire is located to tap into?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Make sure your charger is ok with having the AC interrupted while the DC is still connected. Mine recommends always disconnecting the DC before powering off the AC. My relay interrupts the DC directly if any cell gets to too high a voltage. If my pack is properly balanced, all cells only get to 4.1V at full charge.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #20
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Make sure your charger is ok with having the AC interrupted while the DC is still connected. Mine recommends always disconnecting the DC before powering off the AC. My relay interrupts the DC directly if any cell gets to too high a voltage. If my pack is properly balanced, all cells only get to 4.1V at full charge.
I cannot find any info on the charger. The cart is a 2013 or 2014 EZGO 2Five and the shop manual lists the part number as 609398. When I search on that I find information that says the part number is replaced by 624031 but I cannot find any info on that part number either.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO