lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Robert L.
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery terminal melts

I have a 1997 club car. Replaced Interstate batteries with trojan. 36 volt old style resistor system. New battery main negative connection melted and exploded battery after 6 months. Replaced and 2nd battery downstream from that one did the same after 6 months. Never had problem with interstate batteries. Only replaced them because they were 5 years old. Trojan dealer says its not the battery but can't help to determine why cart would cause problem. Cart was lifted and high speed motor by previous owner. I have jacked up the cart and checked the brakes. Wheels move freely. I suspect there is too much amperage draw but not sure how to measure.I can run the cart while jacked up and produces 36 volts. Difficult to measure amperage with load. Really don't want to retrofit to controller. cart is seldom used. would like to repair myself. To difficult to find repair service where I live. All the terminals are clean, not loose, snug fit, not over tightened and cables are new.
Robert L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Battery terminal melts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L. View Post
I suspect there is too much amperage draw but not sure how to measure.I can run the cart while jacked up and produces 36 volts. Difficult to measure amperage with load.
You can use a clamp on meter on any of the battery cables to measure the battery amperage under load. See photo below:

IMG_7738.jpg
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Do you charge batteries after your done with it ?Have you checked the batteries for voltage after you used it might be running them too low.
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What size cables do have? Post pictures of what you have.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
Robert L.
Not Yet Wild

I tried measuring amps with my Fluke T51000 under normal driving conditions and got less than 1 amp and as much as 9. It is not a clamp on and will try an amprobe model soon. Cables are standard and same as original. I charge it every 2 weeks. Charger starts off at 20amps on charger meter and gradually drops down to 0 after 8hrs. I have tested the batteries with a load tester and they are fine. Could use a suggestion on how to post pictures
Old 12-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/test-...ing-101-a.html
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The meter you have can only measure AC current, not DC.

Since the battery post melting is the pack negative and that is also the post with the charger negative wire, make sure the cable going to the motor is the first one in direct contact with the lead surface of the battery post, the charger receptacle wire goes on top of the large cable lug.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Robert L.
Not Yet Wild

Motor negative cable is 1st on terminal, then charger cable on 1st battery in series. Positive terminal on 1st battery was the 1st to melt. I replaced the battery. The negative terminal on the 2nd battery in the series melted 6 months later. It only has the jumper cable from the 1st battery to it. no other cables.

There are a few 12 volt accessory wires connected to the 1st 2 batteries in the series to run head lights, power meter etc. The accessories are never used.

I have been checking all the terminals for heat since this has happened. the two center batteries in the series of 6 have warm terminals. The #1,2 5,6 batrteries have cold terminals. Not sure what that means.

Could the cart motor have intermitent problem that causes large amperage pull.
Problem has happened when only 2 people are in the cart.. No excessive weight or towing anything.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is is probably time for new cables, heat is caused by resistance nearby and if the cables are old it is a good idea to upgrade anyway.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Is is probably time for new cables, heat is caused by resistance nearby and if the cables are old it is a good idea to upgrade anyway.
And I would upgrade to 4 gauge when you change them.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car