lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Nate
Gone Wild

Motors are funny devices; they are more current sensitive than voltage sensitive. The D-380 I have from PQ is basically a 48V motor but I have it on 120V and it performs extremely well. The biggest issue with high voltage on a 48V motor is RPM. I know my max speed based on gear and tire size; this tells me when to stop applying power because the motor is at max RPM.
The exploded PQ motor you saw was a high speed motor running on 72V, no problem other than the owner did not monitor speed and ran the motor above its RPM limit. I am guessing it was well over 8000 RPM before it came apart.
EMP is afraid to say they can build a motor for 120V because the over-RPM issue is too great. There are no guide lines to follow for a golf cart on 120V.
D&D said the same thing as EMP when I asked them about 120V motor about a year ago. PQ said the motor was good to 8000 RPM, do not exceed and ran it on their dyno which is why I went with their motor, I knew the true limit of that particular motor. I know I sound pro-PQ but they were the only ones who were interested and made recommendations when I told them I was going 120V.

I can bore you folks about motor characteristics some more if you like.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
roady89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate

I can bore you folks about motor characteristics some more if you like.
PLEASE DO!.....I had pretty much knew that EMP wouldn't build it for the same reason's you explained.

You bring up a good point about motor RPM. The boost cart we are playing with I'm thinking the motor is turning 9000 rpm at the speeds we are running.(Just a guess) We are just waiting on it to explode! LOL!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #13
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
It topped out just above 50 MPH and was only drawing 70 amps! The motor was a special wind I did myself and since it stayed together I figure I might have done something right. The whine is from the old Terrell diff 8:1 gears.

This cart is so light I can pick up the front or back even with the batteries in it but it will only go four miles at 50 MPH. It will cover the 1/8 mile and that's all I need for next years Bonanza!!
50mph for 4 miles!

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
club car man
Ford

50 MPH for 4 miles sound REALLY good to me.
club car man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by club car man
50 MPH for 4 miles sound REALLY good to me.
I bet a chocolate covered moose wearing a diaper and wig does too!

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
Nate
Gone Wild

That same cart with 120V worth of group 24 batteries and an HT motor also ran 50 MPH and had the capacity to run about 15 miles but the motor would get too hot after 4 miles. 100 degrees C (212F) on the case is my shut off limit.

9000 RPM! Hang on when that puppy lets go! (or the moose wearing a diaper and wig!)

I am working on a rev limiter that cuts power by 50% to an electric motor when a certain RPM is reached. It would be for controllers carts so the bypass circuit would bypass the limiter but it could possibly drop out the boost at a certain RPM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #17
roady89

Quote:

9000 RPM! Hang on when that puppy lets go!.
Its an estimate...... 2800 rpm on stock 36 volts and will do 13 or so mph and the we boost to 108 volts and get almost 42mph out of it. I wish I knew the gear ratio so I could get a better estimate.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #18
Nate
Gone Wild

Unless it has been changed or is older than 1980 I would guess 12.44:1.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
roady89

Quote:
Unless it has been changed or is older than 1980 I would guess 12.44:1.
Its a 95 medalist....OUCH! 12.44:1 I better tear it down for an inspection Would you suggest kevlar banding?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
Nate
Gone Wild

If you can see the armature count the armature turns to one tire rotation, it should be just shy of 12 1/2 armature turns to one tire rotation. If you open it you can count your teeth...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!