lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #31
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging Extreme DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
All of this discussion is still very confusing I wonder why we an expert hasn't jump in here and explain just how this can be done? I have 2 welders, a 175amp mig and a 240a/220v arch. Which one of these can I charge my batteries with?
scottyb,
please dont try this type of battery charging. I use the odessy batteries, they are a high cranking amp battery plus they are a deep cycle battery as well. They can handle the high amps & fast charging rate . The ones that I am useing for my high voltage RACE-CART can handle 125 amps max. But they only have about 2 min. of time. That cuts way back on weight. But now I need to recharge to 100% voltage ASAP now.

I call it out law raceing, Bring what you got & line'em up. The Boys come to race. Not to waite on my batteries to charge up.

So back to your question. Like roady said, first of all the output would have to be DC. Also the output would need to be of total volts that your pack can produce. Now both of your welders will work up to this point. What I mean is,
they both can get your pack to the 48 volt reading on the meter. But now you will need to start turning down the amps, while holding the volt meter at max volts for a 48 volt pack untill you are down 0 amps. Now is where your machines are out. Where do your amps start at. I am thinking around 30 or 40. You need to be able to turn them to 0 amps to get a full charge.

I found a welder with all the right numbers but amps only went down to 10 amps. That would leave me with a 80% charge.
GarageBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #32
Nate
Gone Wild

The electric car racers use a charger called the PFC-50, it can be found at Manzanita Micro.

http://www.manzanitamicro.com/pfc50a.htm

Rich Rudman is the owner, very intelligent guy he will shoot you strait and will cover what you need for safe competition charging.

Another thought is dump charging, this is where you have a stationary battery pack slightly higher voltage in the pits. When you return you dump the power from this pack to the one in your cart then charge the stationary pack at a much more realistic current. This still needs monitoring as over current can result in battery explosions.

Rich was featured on Monster Garage when they built that electric muscle car and used power tool batteries. Talk to Rich first and see what he recommends.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #33
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Holy crap! That's a $4000 charger! He's gonna need some sponsorship to pull this off!

Vendors, are you listening????
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #34
Nate
Gone Wild

Hey nobody said racin' was cheap!

How fast can I go?
Depends on how much money you got?
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #35
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Charging Extreme DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Hey nobody said racin' was cheap!

How fast can I go?
Depends on how much money you got?
Seems true with electrics...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #36
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't ask what an outlaw engine cost would scare you.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!