lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 par car primary clutch

on a 91 par car does the primary clutch go in and out to tighten on the drive belt? it appears that mine doesn't I have a deeper primary drive cover that doesn't appear to go in and out.

The problem is the belt is so tight that the motor wants to drive the cart forward at all speeds. never loosens up on the secondary drive.

help?!
jeeperstrudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: 91 par car primary clutch

Yes the primary goes in and out and the secondary opens and closes with it while keeping the belt tight. While cranking the belt should slip on the primary enough so it will crank without moving the cart.

Is it a new belt?
What are the numbers on the belt?
A pic would also help.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

well after further investigation, the primary clutch (mounted to engine) appears to be engaged (holding belt tight). The belt is never at rest regardless of engine speed.

I bought the Cart this past summer and have been working on getting it running, it's the belt that was on it when I purchased it so i'm not sure of the age. It measures 1-1/32" wide and the belt # is 36398-82

Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

trying to insert picture without much luck

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21104&o=OneUp
Old 12-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Pic not showing up for me.

That is supposed to be the correct belt, however it appears to be worn. It supposed to measure 1 7/32" wide new, but that doesn't make sense since the belt would be looser. Someone may have run the clutch without the belt and the wedges have flipped or lodged in a different position making the belt ride on the flanges.

If the clutch is in proper order then you can loosen the engine mount bolts on the far side and insert some washers to shim the engine over towards the secondary clutch to take some pressure off of the belt.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

So I pulled the basket off of the primary clutch, the weights were wedged not allowing it to go back. There appeared to be four weights in the clutch, they appeared to just be laying in there floating around, do they fit in what appears to be a track for each weight?

How many weights are supposed to be in there?

I'm assuming I can pull the clutch, disassemble and put the weights back in where they go if they just float
Old 12-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

I was able to get the primary clutch off, it appears to have 5 weights in it. I'm working on getting the cover off so that I can install the weights back in there slots properly.

Does 5 weights sound correct? I'm thinking I need 6 but can't figure out how I would've lost one weight.

In order to ensure that I'm well balanced can I remove 2 other weights and space them equally? and If I do, what does that do to me? Faster pick up or slower? I have a lot of hills where I'll be riding and want to make sure I can climb everything without much struggle
Old 12-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #9
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Don't be ashamed you ran the clutch without the belt. I've done it too and had to fix mine.

I took the clutch off of mine and set it on a bench. I did not disassemble my clutch. I forced the clutch open and jammed a piece of wood there to hold it open so I could access the weights. The weights can be removed, turned, and reposistioned but it is very tight, watch your fingers. There is a certain way they go in there so see the manual link below. The weights are loose in the slot and centrifugal force wedges them outwards which closes the flange. If you position them wrong, it will make the flanges closer (tight belt) and may not wedge outwards properly.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...UTILITRUCK.pdf
Page 9-3 shows the primary clutch.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...CK_SHUTTLE.pdf
Page 7 shows it does indeed have 6 weights. It may work with 5 but you will probably loose some top end, I'm not sure. Its worth a try or I believe you can still order the weights.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
jeeperstrudie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Backyard I ended finding 6 weights, took it off the crank disassembled, cleaned and reassembled it.

thanks for the links, the parts assembly is awesome, I didn't have that one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar