lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Robow
Not Yet Wild

Default summer project

I hope to buy a cart this year. I plan on making a project for my 13 year old son and me this summer. I thought it would be an excuse to spend some time with him and get him out of the house for a few hours a week.

My thought is to buy a cart and rebuild it into a cool off road hunting rig. I want to strip it down, repaint, repair and rebuild then put it back together with all the accessories. I want it to have plenty of torque and run time is very important.

Does anyone have ideas on what I should look for in a cart? Like:
 How old is to old?
 Volts?
 36v than convert to 48v?
 Manufacture?

Thanks for any input you can offer
Robow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: summer project

If you are going to rebuild either CC or EZgo would work. I would suggest getting as new a model as budget will allow. If you using as hunting buggy you will need at least a 4" lift and 22" tires for ground clearance. Alltrax 500amp controller, torque motor, hd solenoid, and good batteries will get a long ways through the woods. Don't forget some good lights for coming out of the woods at night.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I know you posted in electric, but if you don't already have the cart consider the ability to re-charge batteries. If you get into a primitive camp a gas cart solves that problem and the deer get used to it. I agree w/ Buckmanmike 4" minimum, 6" A-arm might be better but tire size get's you the most ground clearance and that's what you are looking for. Lot's of good off-road/ hunting buggie ideas here in the forum so Have Fun, ask questions and post pics!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Sorry! Welcome to BGW!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Nate
Gone Wild

A gas cart can be modified with gears and engine upgrades for extreme off-road driving. No issue with run time unless you go further than the tank. If that is the case carry 5 gallons of fuel and forget the electric.
If you want electric and know you will be going 20 miles or less (off-road sucks more juice so I am being conservative at 20 miles) then get an EZ-GO or Club Car and put a 48V battery pack using eight 6V batteries. You heard the minimum lift from Buckman and Flint. Use the factory 12.44:1 gears or 15:1 gears with torque motor, no high-speed gears. With Club Car you can go as old as 1986 if you are good electrically and mechanically, keep in mind this is an advanced build.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Robow
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help fellas. I pretty much decided I will go with an electric cart. We have two old 36v now, a 1980 CC and a 1980 +- Yamaha.

The main use of the carts is to get us to our tree stands and back. We stay on the two tracks most of the time. The property is a mile deep and has one steep long hill that really drains the old carts. We have to go around this area but that puts us up near the bedding area and we’re trying to avoid alerting the deer.

I’m leaning toward CC since I have plenty of hours working on our old one. I’m pretty good with my hands but wiring can give me fits sometimes. Are all the newer carts 48v? Should I by a 36v resister cart than convert it to 48v controller?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
I know you posted in electric, but if you don't already have the cart consider the ability to re-charge batteries. If you get into a primitive camp a gas cart solves that problem and the deer get used to it. I agree w/ Buckmanmike 4" minimum, 6" A-arm might be better but tire size get's you the most ground clearance and that's what you are looking for. Lot's of good off-road/ hunting buggie ideas here in the forum so Have Fun, ask questions and post pics!
i agree.if you want it for off road,gas definitely.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
Nate
Gone Wild

Let's look at your 1980 CC; if it has the Terrell diff and Baldor motor it could be a decent cart to rework. If it has the Fuji diff it is only a matter of time before it fails, even with a stock motor on stock voltage. If you have the Terrell diff you will have 8:1 gears in it, not the greatest for climbing but that Baldor motor on higher voltage will really build some torque. If I saw a picture of the diff and motor I could tell you what it was. Those older Club Cars convert to controllers very well, almost like they were made for them.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Robow
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Let's look at your 1980 CC; if it has the Terrell diff and Baldor motor it could be a decent cart to rework. If it has the Fuji diff it is only a matter of time before it fails, even with a stock motor on stock voltage. If you have the Terrell diff you will have 8:1 gears in it, not the greatest for climbing but that Baldor motor on higher voltage will really build some torque. If I saw a picture of the diff and motor I could tell you what it was. Those older Club Cars convert to controllers very well, almost like they were made for them.
Wow that would be great if I could upgrade my old CC. I was told not to waste my time on it and I should get a newer one. But maybe that was becouse of lift kits and other after market do-dads that wont work on them?

Both of our carts are over to our hunt lease. So it may be a week or two before I can get over to get a pic of it.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not meaning to contradict anything that has been posted .... here's my 2 cents.. The 1980 CC is not a candidate for any aftermarket improvements. Like lift kits and big tires. Once you convert to more power bigger wheels and tires are a natural addition to improve the off the road experience. 1984 was the intro year for the DS model which they kept making for 20 +- years. The body swaps and other upgraded parts like seats, steering wheels, bumpers, and tops all interchange. This gives a wide range of looks and a plethora of used parts out there plus any Company making aftermarket parts makes them DS applicable. The Frame is Aluminum which lightens the load (an important factor for electric) and best of all, like Nate said they are a natural for the controller upgrade. We have 2 of the resistor carts which we have converted and upgraded.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...new-me-cc.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!