lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Default Trojan or Rolls/Surrette Battery

As most of you know Trojan is the standard battery in the golf cart industry, but IMO they are not the best battery you can buy, when you compare specs and warranty.

There is another manufacture out there called Rolls/Surrette and they have a 6 volt GC2 battery that directly replaces the T-105. Rolls Surrette have been making batteries for 80 years for the railroad, diesel, marine, and renewable energy industries

Compare the specs:

Trojan T-105
Rolls EHG 210M

Trojan specs are missing a lot of valuble information like Positive and Negative plate demensions, and number of plates per cell.

In the specs the big differences are Rolls have fewer, larger plates, more lead, and weigh more, 6 pounds more lead. So what does this mean to you? Simple the Rolls will last longer, and you can confirm this by the warranty. Trojan warrants their battery at 5 years, and Rolls is 7 years. Considering they both cost about the same, you might think about this when it is time to replace your batteries.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan or Rolls/Surrette Battery

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread ...... Your argument is compelling but, I don't see a price comparison? And I have never seen a rolls battery in any golf cart? So where are these better than Trojan Batteries being used? At the White House?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The link you posted is for a Marine Deep Cycle Automotive Post battery, not suitable for a golf cart. Nice try.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
redriderno22
let it SNOW

Club Car

you can get the rolls battery in the L style post

but at 210 AH

thats 10 less than the t-105

but im sure its a good batt
redriderno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Theres tons of batteries out there. Marine, tractor trailers batteries are under constant charge during use (alternator). Golf cart batteries are under constant draw without a constant charge. (unless you have downhill braking/ recharge feature) I think thats the difference. I'm not an expert at this, but do you think you'e looking at batteries that are probably not for this application? Ask the mfr. if they're recommended for G.C. use.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The link you posted is for a Marine Deep Cycle Automotive Post battery, not suitable for a golf cart. Nice try.
Hogwash they come in any post you want.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriderno22 View Post
you can get the rolls battery in the L style post

but at 210 AH

thats 10 less than the t-105

but im sure its a good batt
Rolls uses more conservative ratings. The important spec is the size, weight, and thickness of the plates. The Rolls plates are larger, thicker, and weigh more because they have more lead in them.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Rolls uses more conservative ratings. The important spec is the size, weight, and thickness of the plates. The Rolls plates are larger, thicker, and weigh more because they have more lead in them.
How can you be sure it is not just a thicker case that is weighing more?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
Golf cart batteries are under constant draw without a constant charge. (unless you have downhill braking/ recharge feature) I think thats the difference. I'm not an expert at this, but do you think you'e looking at batteries that are probably not for this application?
Yep I am sure. Auto, hybrid Marine, tractor batteries are known as CRANKING batteries and not deep cycle.

The difference between cranking batteries and true deep cycle batteries are in the plate construction.

Cranking batteries have significantly thin plate designed to deliver quick very high current rates, and then be recharged very quickly. However when pressed into deep cycle service the the thin plates errode quickly and will be shot after just a few deep cycles.

Deep cycle batteries have much thicker and heavier plates or they have a lot more lead. The thicker plates are designed for long, slow, constant drains at lower current levels. The thicker plates will not errode near as fast.

You will see this in the spec between the Trojan and Rolls. The Rolls have thicker plates and more lead. You will also see it in the warranty as Trojan is a 5 year product, and Rolls is 7 years.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
K-DAWG
Gone Wild

Everone will say Trojans are the best no matter if they know they are or not. It seems to be the most popular opinion.
K-DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!