lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1990 Par Car Engine runs, but cart won't move

I have seen it written that to check crank seals you spray starting fluid on them while the engine is turning. If the seals are bad the starting fluid will get sucked into the engine and cause ignition for a revolution or two.

Now, in the case of these carts that's impossible with the front seal as the seal is fully enclosed under the ignition module. This test on the rear seal is difficult as the primary clutch is in the way but may be possible if you can angle the spray down there just right.

Now, it's been my experience that the front seal is the one more likely to need replaced anyway. That's just my experience though. I could be wrong. Actually, the last cart I didn't I only did the front seal as I didn't have a rear one on hand and didn't want to wait for one to arrive. Cart didn't run at all before the seal and runs great now.

Doing the seals really isn't all that tough. It's just tedious getting the motor in and out to get the work done.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #22
90ParCar
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Hi All, I just wanted to update everyone as I finally broke down and took my cart to a golf cart repair shop. Turns out either my compression tester is not working correctly or I tested it wrong (first time I've tested compression on a golf cart) as it only had about 68lbs of compression. I had the shop rebuild the engine. It runs again!

However I do have an issue with the carb or the linkage (I think it's in the linkage). The butterfly isn't closing all of the way thus allowing fuel to fill up in the carb and then it backfires when you press on the pedal again (unless you come to a complete stop before pressing the gas pedal again, of course). Does anyone have a picture of how the linkage hooks up on their par car to the carburetor? I think I'm missing the "s" hook that was originally on it and it now has a spring (I think the shop put that on, as I don't remember that before).
90ParCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #23
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Is fuel flooding the intake with the engine off?

With the throttle cable off the carb, the butterfly springs fully open. The throttle cable pulls the butterfly closed, not open. The spring on the accelerator is what pulls the throttle cable. I don't think the leverage of the accelerator matches the pull of the throttle lever so that is the only way it can hook up without the throttle cable binding up.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have tried to take pics of the carb linkage before for previous posters but, given how tight things are that part of the motor it's just about impossible. You just have to imagine that, when you press the accelerator, the throttle linkage must push the throttle lever open.

That S hook thing you describe breaks often. I use a cable stop on each side of the throttle lever to have to same affect (see pic).

Your backfiring issue could be caused by several things. See page 6-4C of the attached service bulletin for some detail but, normally, there are series of adjustments that need to be made after engine repair to reconfigure the engine:

1) The throttle butterfly may need adjusted to make sure that fuel stops going into the cylinder when the accelerator is released.

2) The micoswitch needs to activating at the right time. Ultimately, you want ignition to start before fuel starts into the cylinder and stops after the flow of fuel has stopped.

3) The fuel adjustment screw on the carb can be dialed back to cut back the flow of fuel a bit.

Good news is that these are all pretty easy adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable Stop.jpg (2.5 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 86 - 88 Supplement.pdf (523.4 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #25
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Fuel delivery problems! Bad gas or water in the gas. Drain the float bowl and smell the gas to be sure it hasn't spoiled. A little gas in the chamber (Cylinder) and replace the plug and see if it fires.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #26
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Sorry! This morning my coffee and thinking was not too good. I only read the first post so disregard my last post.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
Gberkman
Not Yet Wild

I need a pic of the carburetor hook up (where the cables and linkage goes) 1990 Columbia par car I replaced the original with a mukuni that’s supposed to fit the same I’m not sure where all hooks to. It came to me this way. Trying to help a disabled friend. Thank you

Last edited by Gberkman; 06-15-2018 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Gberkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #28
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

What Mukuni are you using? Remember the HD/Columbia carb is spring loaded to the open position and the gas pedal just allows it to open.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar