lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Just need a little information

I have read threads that talk about the same thing I'm going to ask. The problem I'm having, is they never give a full answer to the thread. If they did, they Didn't post it.
I have two 2005 ez go txt PDS that's giving me a 3-2 code. the problem I'm having with the carts, is they run slow. Now I have checked all voltages, all terminals, Batteries are one day old. With only one charge.
I changed the solenoid with the same results.
I also tried replacing the speed sensor on the Motor. With same results. (because it was running slow). Now this cart would not every run at full speed and slow down. Just always slow.
So is there anyway to check the motor speed sensor / or controller without changing them???
Also the cart does not go into the walk away mode.
Lots question.

Thanks for the help.
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just need a little information

Check the voltage on J1 Pins 4 & 5.

Both should be FULL pack voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I do have full pack voltage on those pins.
Want be able to check any more till I buy some batteries. I move them to other cart. Also ordered new controller.
I would like to prove, if this problem ( I have had 3 or so ) that run slow. I can't tell if it's motor speed sensor or controller or solenoid ( 3-2 beep code)
I hate to just change parts.
Thanks.
Sonny

P.s.
JohnnieB I always check voltage as per your instruction. I keep a work sheet with all your instruction real handy.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you ordered an Alltrax controller you can also eliminate the speed sensor as a problem because it will no longer be needed.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks
that is what I use. Just trying to find a way to tell what's bad. when I get the 3-2 code.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sonny, check the voltages on Pins 4 & 5 while you are getting the 3-2 code and cart is running slow.

What the PDS controller is doing is comparing the voltage on the controller's B+ terminal to the voltage on one of the two pins. I'm not sure which, but I suspect it is Pin-5 since it has the most direct connection to the main positive terminal on the battery pack.

Since the controller controls the solenoid, it knows when the contacts ought to be closed. When the contacts are open, the voltage on the B+ terminal ought to be lower than what is on Pin-5. If it isn't, the controller assumes the contacts are welded and sets the welded solenoid error flag until it senses the voltage on the B+ terminal being lower like it ought be when the contacts are open.

The tricky part is the controller isn't smart enough to know whether the voltage on the B+ terminal is abnormally high or the voltage on Pin-5 is abnormally low, or if the voltage comparator inside the controller is screwed up.

With a pre-charge resistor installed, the voltage on the B+ terminal is typically about 2V-5V lower than pack voltage.

Try removing the pre-charge resistor and let the cart sit for about 10 minutes. (Long enough for the filter capacitors, whose stored charge will keep the voltage on the B+ terminal to stay close to full pack voltage for several minutes, to discharge a bit.)

If the cart runs normally the first time the pedal is pushed, I'd take a really close look at the the small red wire that connects to the battery side large terminal on the solenoid.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I think the tach sensor wires are red, white & black. Think the white wire is signal wire. It will pulse on 4 times per motor revolution (+5v i think). Should be able to push cart slowly & count pulses.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all
Like I said, can't do anything till get some batteries.
Just today I got a call about cart running fine and then would stop. cycle the run/tow switch and It run find. She just never knows when it want go. She is young and no problem to her. Dads the only one that don't like it.
these are the kind of problem that bug me the most. Can't tell them what wrong.
I think all for your help.
Sonny
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO